The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“AdsEmpire”/  Direct Affiliate

The process of transferring a Website or domain

gkd_uk

Hi

It would be good if some one could type up a quick guide on how to transfer a domain/website. I think this would be very useful

I would have, but don't know the process as I have never transferred any of my domains or websites.

Is anyone up for typing a quick guide? :)

1. Set up the new site at the new address on the new server.

2. make the DNS change of nameservers etc

3. Leave the old site up in place (or if you are changing domain name you need to put in place a 301 redirect match which send requests for a page on one site to the equivalent page on the new domain.).

4. Do NOT take down the site from the old hosting until the spiders have stopped visiting.

Spiders track IP locations not domain names, so until it fully propagates across all their datacentres they will go to the old location. if the site is not there it will be recorded as a 404 error, and Algorithms don't like 404's, it lessens the trust factor for the site. It is for this reason mainly that people say moving your site causes problems. it is not the moving of the site, it si HOW the move is handled :)

If you are switching domain names, then you can expect a time lag for the trust factor to come back and you get all your link benefit back. This can take anything from 2-12 months. My advice is, if you have a domain that is ranking well across the board, you need a VERY good reason to change it.

Everything that OWG said and depending on which registrar you're with you'll have to put in a security code in order to transfer the domain.

GoDaddy is a pain in the ass for this.

Moniker you have to get the recipients security number.

NameCheap you just have to type in the recipients username and your password.

Others I'm not so sure about. I don't even use GoDaddy but I have brought domain from people that held them there.

KP

I think that transferring a .com is a PITA from what I have heard. Nominet are SUPERB to deal with, phone them up, speak to real people, do stuff by fax, get your domain back etc.

Hi

It would be good if some one could type up a quick guide on how to transfer a domain/website. I think this would be very useful

I would have, but don't know the process as I have never transferred any of my domains or websites.

Is anyone up for typing a quick guide? :)

Yeah its really helpful. Appreciate if someone make a quick guide of Transfer of website with DB from old hosting to new hosting.

DON.

With CPanel you can do hosting to hosting transfers so it keeps everything, including the database intact.

I think you can do the same with Plesk and DirectAdmin.

KP

With CPanel you can do hosting to hosting transfers so it keeps everything, including the database intact.

I think you can do the same with Plesk and DirectAdmin.

KP

Appreciate step by step guide for that please. Is there any extra precautions one has to keep in mind while transfer from old hosting to new hosting ?

DON.

Backing up all the files before transferring.

Make sure the files have transfered over to the new server before deletion from the old one.

There the main ones.

KP

GoDaddy is a pain in the ass for this.

Moniker you have to get the recipients security number.

NameCheap you just have to type in the recipients username and your password.

Even godaddy has domain push feature similar to Namecheap, so if you have an account their as well, the seller can simply push the domain to your account saving you from going through the transfer process.

guys, I appreciate that some hosting companies have the facility to push domains etc, but just as they often screw up domain redirects by assuring you they ar search engine friendly, only to find out once your rankings have gone that they are not, my motto is 'better safe than sorry'

A good tip is to edit your host file on your PC to check that the migrated site is working properly at the new host before doing any DNS changes.

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts

Add this line:

194.123.1.1 domain.com

where
[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]194.123.1.1 is IP for the new site.
[/FONT]

banners
Back