The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“AdsEmpire”/  Direct Affiliate

Sub.domains

threeg5

affiliate
so a question that I have foudn mixed answers to.:rolleyes:

Google sees through a ton of stuff probably more then we actually know and of course as we find out it is shared after figuring out how to use it.:p
Question
you have say a toplevel domain glasses.com as a wp blog and you create sub domains as in sun.glasses.com and reading.glasses.dom and maybe bifocal.glasses.com (of course these are examples) and each is a wp blog of itself that pulls traffic but all outgoing links point to your primary glasses.com site is there a penalty for that or is there a boost of anything?:confused:

I have a niche that I am working on that has potential for several of these type sub.domain blogs and before I go building this arsenal and scale out with it I am looking for some feedback!:D
thanks

3g5

p.s. I realize that it seems as easy to simply put the buy options on each of these pages but, lets pretend that the affiliate only allowed sales from the one domain period!;)

In moderation, it won't hurt. It also won't help as much as you might think, because all links are fron the same domain. They're basically like navigation links.

If you overdo it, you can indeed incur a penalty.

so Minstrel as in navigation links you are saying that it is no different then say
glasses.com/sun?
I am simply trying to figure out the best way to break down a site because ultimately it can be broken down and each one would have its on individual targets but they would all care about the primary as well so the sun.glasses folks would care about sunglasses but not care about the bifocal glasses folks.
I hope i am making since or at least making enough to get the picture.:eek:

Point is I want to break it down to individuals but would rather not have like 60-100 .com domains @ $5-$10 each where they are all about glasses but seperated down and driving traffic to a main site.
That would mean several different hosts as well as I am sure Google would see all from server x producing much traffic all pointing to one place. although some could be interlinked like bifocal and reading for instance.
ok my mind seems to be drifting and getting repetitive in explanation.

thanks to all that have input
3g5

so Minstrel as in navigation links you are saying that it is no different then say glasses.com/sun?

These days, that is pretty much the case. There used to be some advantages to subdomains vs. subfolders but they are less true today. Now it's mostly a matter of personal preference.

I am simply trying to figure out the best way to break down a site because ultimately it can be broken down and each one would have its on individual targets but they would all care about the primary as well so the sun.glasses folks would care about sunglasses but not care about the bifocal glasses folks. I hope i am making since or at least making enough to get the picture.:eek:

My rule of thumb is if it is closely related content, use a subfolder: www.glasses.com/sunglasses. If it's different (but still related) content, use a subdomain: fashioncases.domain.com. If it's entirely different, get another domain: www.suntanlotion.com

Point is I want to break it down to individuals but would rather not have like 60-100 .com domains @ $5-$10 each where they are all about glasses but seperated down and driving traffic to a main site.

That would mean several different hosts as well as I am sure Google would see all from server x producing much traffic all pointing to one place. although some could be interlinked like bifocal and reading for instance.

Not only would that get expensive, it wouldn't help and heavily interlinking sites could well set you up for a Google penalty. Shoemony got caught that way in his early days when he was still learning.

MI
Back