The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Propeller”/  Direct Affiliate

Staff and contests

hissae2

affiliate
Do you allow staff to participate in contests?

I allow staff to participate in some but not others. If the staff helped plan it, they should not be allowed. If it's a referral or posting contest it should not be allowed. But graphic contests and things like that I see no reason to stop staff members from participating. What's your opinion on this?

If it's a major competition or event, no, staff cannot participate. A contest like that, usually involving posting, is for the members and to encourage member activity. Staff already have the job of posting, they shouldn't need a contest to motivate them. For smaller contests like caption, signature/avatar of the week, etc. I have no problem letting staff participate in those.

It depends what sort of contest it is, I would not allow them to compete in a posting contest, as they should be posting a lot anyway :)

I am more or less in the same boat you are. I don't allow them to participate in posting contests, for example. They would obviously win. They don't seem bothered by this, though, because they usually support the idea of contests in order to improve our forum and community overall.

I sometimes let them participate as they are still players, but they just gained an extra role. Being staff doesn't mean they can't enter contests.

I sometimes let them participate as they are still players, but they just gained an extra role. Being staff doesn't mean they can't enter contests.

True. Sometimes, though, by default, staff members are more likely to already be participating more than the average member. Nobody wants to enter a contest and actually compete when they know that the top 3 or 5 spots are automatically going to be won by staff. Been there, seen that, didn't bother to even try.....which defeated the point for the owner.

The mods wouldn't be very popular if they won anyway I don't think. Besides, if they delete a spammy post they'd get accused of trying to lower the post count of others, it just doesn't have a happy ending does it.

Ahh yeah true, if a Mod wins the contest, people will be like "you cheat just because you're staff" and then it might cause a bit of drama and members start to leave the forum.

Staffs are members too so why not let them join the contest. The reason why I might not let them to is if this staff is a friend or probably a partner.

Participants who loses sure are bitter who ever won though.

MI
Back