The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“AdsEmpire”/  Direct Affiliate

SMF - Simple Machines Forum - Your views?

vicdigi

affiliate
Please advise on your experience with SMF (the Simple Machines Forum software)f or Joomla.

What are your views -

Is this reliable
Can it be hacked easily
Is this good for building online communities
Is the administration side of it easy etc

Thanks in advance

SMF is a good starting point for a Forum. There is plenty of support available and loads of mods and hacks.
Its also relatively easy to migrate to VB when and if you want to.

I've not long heard abou SMF so thought I would investigate.

Many seem to think that as a free forum software these comes very close to vBulletin so I am swaying to belive this myself even without using it.

There is one thing however that really disappoints with SMF - the layout is not so clear as vBulletin when reading posts.

Is there anyone else that can share their experience with SMF.

SMF is also very complicated, but its much more secured than phpBB. If you are going for a free forum software, SMF is the one to go for.

I've always loved SMF. Mostly because it rarely ever gets hacked. It's also very easy to work with when you want to integrate other login systems with it. It has most of the same features as VB. The only thing I never liked in SMF is their search system, but I believe they have changed it in 2.0 beta.

SMF is pretty good, from what I've seen so far. I've been using it for the past few weeks and it seems relatively easy to install mods (as long as you use the default theme) and a lot safer than phpbb.

i've used smf for like 8 months of my life before moving to vbulletin - smf is great for starting out, free, easy to use, and manage - i would recommend it to anyone starting out, i've never been hacked or anything lol, i just had the money for a vbulletin license :D

I'm using SMF for my first forum.

Very easy to use. Installed correctly first time. Themes are easy to change. It is early days but I've got only one or two relatively minor complaints. No software is perfect but SMF does well and its free!:good:

I'm using SMF for my first forum.

Very easy to use. Installed correctly first time. Themes are easy to change. It is early days but I've got only one or two relatively minor complaints. No software is perfect but SMF does well and its free!:good:

have you every used phpBB? most people who have seem to rate SMF better than phpBB

have you every used phpBB? most people who have seem to rate SMF better than phpBB
I've not used any other forum software. However, I did a lot of research on a number of webmaster discussion forums and the general consensus was that SMF was better than other free forum software because it was harder to hack and more resistant to spam. :good:

Having said that, I'm getting spam almost every day.:mad:

MI
Back