The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“AdsEmpire”/  Direct Affiliate

Simple Affiliate Program

D

DraftBoards

What is the easiest way to start an affiliate program? I have just started my website and am interested in starting an affiliate program. Is there some ready made software?

There are a ton of programs out there, you may want to search for MYAPs (My affiliate programs) and you will find what you are looking for.

However, before launching an affiliate program, you should think about what you are doing.

1. your site isn't designed to be conversion friendly
2. there is no conversion page or page to track on
3. the design isn't something that is clean or set up to be a merchant that most real affiliates would promote
4. You have adsense plastered all over your forums which is not acceptable for a Merchant as it takes the traffic your affiliates are sending you and driving them away from converting, exposing them to competitors, allows them to show their affiliate links on your site stealing from you and overwriting other affiliate cookies, etc...

This is just my opinion, you have a great product; but you are nowhere near ready for a program. You may want to do some more research before you move forward and get everything 100% in order for ecommerce and affiliate marketing programs before you launch.

The only solid program you would be able to currently run with the set up and design is a pay per click program.

Your feedback is much appreciated. A couple of questions for you...

1. What do you mean when you say the site isn't designed to be conversion friendly?

2. I would definately plan on adding to or possibly redoing the entire site. Currently I was just in a rush to get something up well before football season.

3. Do you have suggestions for how to improve the site so affiliates would promote it? I'm not sure I understand why you make this point.

4. Very good point. When I get to the point of an affiliate program, I may have to remove adsense.

Draftboard, I am sorry to tell you that there is not really any simple way to do anything online or offline. And I do agree with what Liquid 1 said.

Another thing you need to think about is, where are you going to get affiliates to join you? It is not as easy as putting your product on Clickbank, Paydotcom or other affiliate directories.

The money is in the list and it goes the same to your affiliates. You need to focus on getting affiliates who have their own list and have degree of reputation in your niche.

This is what I think and I hope it helps. :D

Most of my affiliates will be college students/frat guys. I'm 25 and have connects in FSU, UF, UCF, DU, UH, USF, and more. Additionally I would like to find some online affiliates, but initially I want to set something up for the guys I have.

1. What do you mean when you say the site isn't designed to be conversion friendly?

Well, where are the call to actions, where is the draw to purchase, etc... there are numerous things missing from that standpoint and others.

2. I would definately plan on adding to or possibly redoing the entire site. Currently I was just in a rush to get something up well before football season.

That is a big mistake, if you are going to do it, do it right, not get something up and running. This is something that if people see it and it isn't right or a strong product, they may not return. Take your time and develop something solid and strong, then release and get it going.

3. Do you have suggestions for how to improve the site so affiliates would promote it? I'm not sure I understand why you make this point.

I have a ton of thoughts on this, but I do not have time to put them all down here. The basics are, what is the user looking for, how can I put it in front of them, how can I better improve their experience. The affiliates will take notice of this too. Then you need to develop a program that will make them want to join and begin recruiting.

Also, read about adware and parasites as you will not want that stuff in your program.

My recommendation as to get you going and get started is to just outsource it and get the additional expertise, but when evaluating a firm, look into:

Do they work with parasites
Can they show you how to bust them, test them, keep them out
Catch trademark poachers in 4 or 5 different ways
How they recriut
etc...

Best,

Adam

Liquid1 knows his stuff and gave you some good advice.
I agree.

Here is what I tell people that want to start an affiliate program even if they have a tried and tested product but if they have a NEW SITE or it's the 1st time they have tried to sell online AND especially when I see their site is not ready for prime time…

Don't even consider starting an affiliate program until you've done PPC and conversion testing and optimization. Pretend you are your own affiliate as you do this process. (Explained below.)

Until you drive A LOT of traffic to your site, you won't know if anyone will buy. If hardly anyone buys, it could be the price, it could be your site, it could be your cart or any of the things Liquid1 mentioned. You need to figure out where the problems are, correct them, then test to see if it helped your conversion rates. The fastest way to get the traffic and test is with PPC because you are in complete control.

It costs money and takes time to set up an affiliate program. It's a bad business decision to go to the trouble and unfair to affiliates, who only get paid per sale, to set up an affiliate program for a product or site that can't make decent conversions.

Affiliates can't make sales if your site is not right, your product is not of interest to anyone or the price point is wrong. Converting the buyer and making the sale rests on the merchant.

So you need to do the testing 1st before adding affiliates!

As you do your PPC and conversion testing - PRETEND you are your own affiliate. Set up an affiliate account for yourself on paper. So lets say you spend $1,000 on PPC and only make 3 sales. Lets say if you were an affiliate you made $20 per sale, so your commission would have been $60. (making up the numbers no idea what your product costs or what commish you would pay.)

Ask yourself this question...
If you just spent 1000 on PPC and only made $60
Would YOU be your own affiliate with that kind of return???

No you wouldn't! Now that's not to say all affiliates are going to do PPC but again that's a way to get a lot of targeted traffic fast so you can find out what your conversion rates are. Since you are the merchant YOU ARE IN CONTROL to make the changes that could improve conversions and TRUST ME as you watch those PPC dollars go out the door with little or no return, you are going to be testing and tweaking. :p

So that's what I tell new merchants over the phone when I do free consultations. I go into a lot more detail than that, but I've never had time to write it up, so now there you have it. :)

banners
Back