The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Propeller”/  Direct Affiliate

Road To Success?

The road to Success in Affiliate Marketing as I Understand step-by-step. (This is NOT a Comprehensive List. Also, please understand that certain things are relative, what's good for me, may or may not be good for you and vice versa. Always do your own due diligence!)

1) Sign Up For A Good Affiliate Network.
2) Choose A good niche that would work out for you successfully, you will have to test a few niches before you spot the one that's best for you! (medium competition, hopefully)
3) Choose a good offer (based on whether or not it's providing any value to the end-user (customer buying the product, Again, good is relative!)
4) Get A Domain Name.
5) Get A good tracker. (Newbies with low budget can sign up for Peerclick Or BeMob as they provide a Basic free package.)
6) Work On The Landing Page (Either insert the tracking codes in the html or just use the campaign url provided by the tracker.)
7) Sign Up To A Good Ad Network.
8) Create an eye-catching AD-COPY (but do not exaggerate unnecessarily, it shouldn't look like you're lying through your teeth!)
9) Optimize Your Campaign (Testing, Testing, Testing, it's All about Testing!)
10) Run Your Campaign For At least 3-4 Weeks.
11) If the campaign loses 2X / 3X money as the payout, reset and try again.
12) If the campaign makes money keep it up unless the ROI starts coming down.

Ok. So what did I miss?

Please feel to comment

Thanks!

Last edited:
That's a real variable. If you start with DOI signups or a low barrier and small payout offer you may want to go up to 5X
Ok. What's a Doi signup offer? Like Installation Offers? (Getting customers to Sign Up For a particular program?)

Ok. Question? How would I know which publisher IDs to block?

And isn't it funny that even though every network say that their network has latest technology to block bot traffic, Almost everyone keep telling us to make a blacklist first! Lol

Thanks!

1. Your tracker will show the ID that convert in your funnel that you set up --easy way but not that accurate
This would be whitelisted right?
  1. Your server logs and the tech tricks you use will find bots and low quality traffic --hard way --takes a lot of experience --more accurate but not 100% --what is?
my rule of thumb low cost bulk traffic 65% must pass the basic filters 200 and not 403/444/499
I record the landing page click outs so if that is less that what I decide to accept --say 4% the page affinity is bad or the site ID is garbage.
A tracker will only give you a clue I can grep(search) siteID and its attributes in every point of the funnel
  1. server gatekeeper->
  2. landing page->
  3. time on page (google-analytics does that well) ->
  4. click out from the landing page (or abandonment without clicking).
This will take some time for me to understand but I'll get there!
DOI double opt-in the person subscribing or joining (signing up) responds to an email confirmation (completing verification)
Thank you! Appreciate it!
Have you read through ?
I thought I did. But thank you for your helpful response! You have no idea how much your response have helped me here! Thank you!

Ok. Question? How would I know which publisher IDs to block?
  1. Your tracker will show the ID that convert in your funnel that you set up --easy way but not that accurate
  2. Your server logs and the tech tricks you use will find bots and low quality traffic --hard way --takes a lot of experience --more accurate but not 100% --what is?
my rule of thumb low cost bulk traffic 65% must pass the basic filters 200 and not 403/444/499
I record the landing page click outs so if that is less that what I decide to accept --say 4% the page affinity is bad or the site ID is garbage.
A tracker will only give you a clue I can grep(search) siteID and its attributes in every point of the funnel
  1. server gatekeeper->
  2. landing page->
  3. time on page (google-analytics does that well) ->
  4. click out from the landing page (or abandonment without clicking).
use the {tokens} that the ad network offers or just add your own &key=value in the URL parameters
if you can program in PHP you can pass the siteID value in the URL and $_GET['name'] and append it to you links out example.com/page.php?site=2345567&<others>

Ok. What's a Doi signup offer? Like Installation Offers? (Getting customers to Sign Up For a particular program?)
DOI double opt-in the person subscribing or joining (signing up) responds to an email confirmation (completing verification)

Have you read through ?

Last edited:
if you blacklist you will be doing that forever.
Ah. It's the opposite approach! That makes a lot of sense!
Getting a reliable sample, 576 is the number I like,
So if I'm getting more than 500 impressions that's a good traffic from that one publisher?

Try to buy the least junk traffic as possible.
How? Raise the bid CLOSE to the max? But if I don't have a blacklist won't this decrease my CTR? :(
When the Whitelist traffic goes down --start a clone campaign with no blacklist again and find some newer good site IDs. Stop the clone and add the new sites to your existing whitelist campaign.
This is a great strategy! Thanks!

Tell me what you think about this strategy

1) Use the CPM model.
2) Bid the lowest.
3) Let it run for at least a week.
4) Block All Publisher IDs that have been sending you spam or bot traffic. (The logic is that at this low bid only bots will be sent.
5) Then start a new campaign with that blocklist With CPC Model this time and bid Medium To High to get quality Click Throughs!

Let me know your thoughts please

This would be whitelisted right?
I buy a chunk of RON or my GEO's for the offer traffic first maybe $10-$20 or Native ads --maybe $124
Then I sort out the good site ids then if they have the volume --then whitelist them.

These push and pop networks are mostly junk --if you blacklist you will be doing that forever.
When the Whitelist traffic goes down --start a clone campaign with no blacklist again and find some newer good site IDs. Stop the clone and add the new sites to your existing whitelist campaign. Try to buy the least junk traffic as possible.

Depends on the type of the ad and the cost.
Getting a reliable sample, 576 is the number I like, can be costly with SEM, Facebook, --$200 to $600
With these you may be also dealing with cohorts and postal zones.

Data costs money --ad agencies have experience with accumulated data (that their clients have paid for) it's possible for them to use that data to your benefit but they want a fee for their experience. They sell knowledge.

The road to Success in Affiliate Marketing as I Understand step-by-step

1) Sign Up For A Good Affiliate Network.
2) Choose A good niche (medium competition, hopefully)
3) Choose a good offer (based on whether or not it's providing any value to the end-user (customer buying the product)
4) Get A Domain Name.
5) Get A good tracker
6) Work On The Landing Page insert the tracking codes in the html!
7) Sign Up To A Good Ad Network
8) Create an eye-catching AD-COPY (but do not exaggerate unnecessarily, shouldn't look like you're lying through your teeth!)
9) Optimize Your Campaign (Testing, Testing, Testing)
10) Run Your Campaign For At least 3-4 Weeks.
11) If the campaign loses 2X money as the payout, reset and try again.
12) If the campaign makes money keep it up until the ROI starts coming down.

Ok. So what did I miss?

Please feel to comment

Thanks!
I would say that you narrowed it down pretty well and accurately, as these are really some basic steps that need to be done if someone wants to start their affiliate marketing journey successfully, and pretty much in that order. I would maybe out finding a good and relevant niche in the first place, as from it pretty much depends which affiliate network should be chosen and which has the best offers.

4) Block All Publisher IDs that have been sending you spam or bot traffic. (The logic is that at this low bid only bots will be sent.
5) Then start a new campaign with that blocklist With CPC Model this time and bid Medium To High to get quality Click Throughs!
Yep, buy the data (bad sites) cheap and then spend more (higher bid) to get the good after you have made the blacklist.
You can do it with CPM too because you are blocking the bad sites.

**However, I still think using whitelists only is a better way if you can get the volume --enough good larger sites.

Last edited:
I would maybe out finding a good and relevant niche in the first place, as from it pretty much depends which affiliate network should be chosen and which has the best offers.
Yes!

But that only comes after a lot of failures (doesn't matter if you chose it wisely or have been lucky enough to be informed by someone else, it's always about what works for YOU!)

And thank you for your appreciation of the thread! Hopefully newbies (including me) will get some idea about how to approach affiliate marketing!

I made this thread to clear the doubts in my mind (hence the question mark in the title!) but I'm glad others are finding it informative!

These tips are really useful, but they are too vague to follow. I mean it is of no use to anyone such a tip as 'choose a good niche'. It is the subject of many discussions of which niches are good or bad.

they are too vague to follow.
This is just a preliminary flowchart that shows all the steps involved in your journey towards success in affiliate marketing. It's not a comprehensive or exhaustive list by any means! But it will work as a guide for someone who doesn't have any clue as to what to do next.

Remember, we all have to do our own due diligence. NO ONE can tell you WHAT NICHE is good for you! Because what's good for me, may or may not be good for you and vice versa!

It is the subject of many discussions
Even after many such discussions, is there any guarantee that that particular niche will work successfully for you?

Stop dreaming and smell the coffee!

Last edited:
MI
Back