The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Adavice”/  “1Win

Response to scammers

Status
Not open for further replies.

gohartman

How do you get your money back from scam sites whose products or methods, are "risk free", but no requests for refunds are honored?

Hi gohartman,

Sorry you find yourself in that situation. I've never been through it so can't tell you from personal experience. But I guess you just keep trying to get your money back and report them to the BBB and scam sites if you can't get a refund.

Then proactively in the future, check Google for "product name scam" to try to research and avoid getting in the situation again.

I think that paying through Paypal from credit card funds is good enough - just be careful and don't overdo it, PP does not enjoy the process either, nor does your CC company.

Linda is right, although I remember taking part in a podcast last year where the host was suggesting setting up affiliate sites using reviews and targeting the "product name scam" longtail. Tricky if you find such a biased review, they will try to convince you of the contrary. Check multiple pages to be on the safe side, and listen to your instincts - if the product or author look dodgy, keep away (asking lots of questions via e-mail and going through the pre-sales pitch is a good test as well).
Again, sorry for your loss, both time and money, if that is what happened.

It may not get your money back but notify them you are a webmaster and will create a website dedicated to inform others that there product and services are a scam and follow through and actually do it if they don’t refund your purchase. I have done this myself in the past and helped many others from being scammed by the product.

hm... so blackmail is the solution. how long until we hire a botnet to DDOS the website?
escalating an incident is easy, the reverse - a lot more complicated.

PS. *** Are those affiliate links in your sig?

Last edited by a moderator:
Victorm,

Blackmail? What are you talking about?...

Blackmail is threatening someone to get THERE money. Not threatening someone to get Your OWN money back that was guaranteed to be returned if not satisfied! So I guess you think stating to a company that is a scammer that you will notify the Better Business Bureau is blackmail? It is the same principle except you are creating your own website to notify others of a scammer rather than relying on the BBB. Actually it is probably a good idea to do both.

PS. *** Are those affiliate links in your sig?

Off topic but: Affiliate links are permitted in signatures. They are not permitted in the body of posts.

Added: But redirecting links are NOT permitted:

• No cookie dropping allowed
  • No re-directs in signatures. Only direct links. Just like the search engines we want our users to only end up at sites they intend to go to with no tricks.
  • No shortened URLs in signatures. Include the full and real URL. Again, we want our users to only end up at sites they intend to go to with no tricks. Additionally, shortened URLs don't give you SEO benefits.

Thank you for the follow-up.

I see your point, please allow me to explain mine.

What you suggested was setting up a website to inform potential buyers that a certain product/service was a scam.
So far, the OP said he could not avail of the risk-free option (get his money back). The quality of the product might be questionable, but he did not claim having paid and never receiving ANYTHING in return.

That is not the same thing with calling someone's product a scam. This can be close to libel, and that only makes lawyers happy (they can argue about intended use and so on as long as the parties have money to pay).
As for blackmail, I am referring to threatening someone with impacting their future stream of revenue through an act of your will in the process of recovering your claimed loss. Unless the OP was their only customer, this is called escalation (his reaction is of the next order of magnitude).
The "same level" reaction is a clawback through the credit card company.

Another reason to be glad he did not name the seller here - time to cool down, get some advice and act appropriately to recover as much as possible of the loss.

BR,
Victor

Victorm,

Blackmail? What are you talking about?...

Blackmail is threatening someone to get THERE money. Not threatening someone to get Your OWN money back that was guaranteed to be returned if not satisfied! So I guess you think stating to a company that is a scammer that you will notify the Better Business Bureau is blackmail? It is the same principle except you are creating your own website to notify others of a scammer rather than relying on the BBB. Actually it is probably a good idea to do both.

The facts are; my friend victorm, is that we don’t know the facts

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
MI
Back