The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“AdsEmpire”/  Direct Affiliate

Removing From Google

whiskymac

Our original website had many dead links, so i re-created the website, and removed the site via the google removal tool. We then uploaded our new site, which is the same URL, and two weeks on, we still have returned 404 errors from the old website. Is this because, google is still in the process of removing our old website?

The new site is error free, would i be better simply removing both from the website directory until the old website is removed completely from Googles index?

This error occured because we had two versions of the same site and the upload crossed paths accidentally.

How long, on average, do you reckon it takes Google to remove a complete website once requested?

Many Thanks
Whiskymac.

Our original website had many dead links, so i re-created the website, and removed the site via the google removal tool. We then uploaded our new site, which is the same URL, and two weeks on, we still have returned 404 errors from the old website. Is this because, google is still in the process of removing our old website?

The new site is error free, would i be better simply removing both from the website directory until the old website is removed completely from Googles index?

This error occured because we had two versions of the same site and the upload crossed paths accidentally.

How long, on average, do you reckon it takes Google to remove a complete website once requested?

Many Thanks
Whiskymac.

Frankly, I would have recommended against submitting a removal request at all, but it's too late for that.

Eventually, the dead pages will drop out of Google's databases (and those of other search engines). In the meantime, the problem for your site is not the dead links (404 error messages) but rather the possibility that potential customers may think your site (domain) is now dead.

The remedy is as follows: Create a custom 404 error page, with a message announcing that the site has been reorganized and the page they care trying to find has been renamed or relocated, and provide (1) a link back to your home page, and (2) a custom site search option for them to search for the item to locate the new name or location.

Last edited by a moderator:
Our original website had many dead links, so i re-created the website

A better solution would be to get a list of the old pages and 301 them to the most relevant new page.

If the old site contained a lot of dead links and the new site was recreated with a different site structure that eliminated the dead links, your option would be at best extremely time consuming and may not accomplish the goal at all.

Also, following my suggestion (custom 404 error page with a link back to home page and a site search option) is good practice for any site. If that is put in place now, it will also worked for mistyped URLs and any future site structure changes.

301 is standard practice for permanently moving a site.

Do it. Don't do it.

Either way, no skin off my nose.

whiskeymac,

what you should've done was after recreating the site :

- created a site map for it
- claimed your site through google webmaster tools
- told google to go look at the updated sitemap

then when the spider got there it would've followed all the new links, and the old links would've soon dropped off ...

good advice for next time ... but if you haven't already done this, you should still do it!

banners
Back