The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“AdsEmpire”/  Direct Affiliate

Relocating Databases

D

Duke

I have never done this before and have been working on it over the past couple of weeks. I simply can't believe how much time is needed to actually do this and not lose any information or have corruption issues between varying versions of the same CMS.

What a huge job!

really?
That shouldn't be the case?!? Are you talking GB level DB's are smaller?
The only time I have encountered corruption has been on much larger databases where the integrity of the data has not been confirmed prior to moving it.

I would hope it is a SQL structured DB, you should just be able to dump a .sql file from the DB an duse that to recreate all your tables and data in the new workspace.

Whats your experience with it this time?

This is the experience this time. Essentially, I'm using the same CMS but it's different versions (one is bbtonuke 2.0.6 and the other is 2.0.14). Simply uploading the text file only makes things not work due to the sql changes that comes with the different versions.

There also seems to be a problem with uploading any file either uncompressed or gzipped to the new db. If I try and upload a file around 2Mb it takes close to 5 minutes to complete and I'm on Cable. I have two files that won't upload period because there 9 and 10 MB respectively.

If I try and compress these files I get one of two errors, one is memory allocation and the other is that I may have found a bug in MYSQL. I can copy the error message I'm getting here and let you see them.

By the way, gzipping is the only form of compression used at this new webhost and it works fine for any file that's under a few Mb.

Hi Duke,
Based on what you have said, my course of action would be (if I am understanding correctly):
upload the old version
upload the files which have changed
using SSH/Telnet, connect to SQL
Execute 1/4 of the SQL statement at a time
Data check the SQL DB

Rock and Roll

Is it something you have already completed despite the limitations of your host or is it ongoing? If there is anything I can help with, please ask.
Lewis

I'm pretty much done the bulk of the work, I just have to update some table information when I take the old site offline for a few hours and re-direct the url to the new site.

banners
Back