The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“AdsEmpire”/  Direct Affiliate

Questioning Business Ethics

WayOutWisdoms

affiliate
While i am new to online marketing an affiliate programs, i recently took a beating (on another forum who's name i shall not mention!) in regard to inquiring about a certain program.

Certainly, i know not every opportunity online is exactly looking after the best interests of the online market as a whole, i still cannot believe having been brutally attacked by other marketers for having questioned How? or Even Why? anyone would want to run scam ads for a quick buck, when there's so many great & honest opportunities online?

My wife and I had gotton burned roughly 4 mnths ago by a very well put together landing page concerning a "Google Kit" ~which i'm sure everyone who's anybody is aware of these cheesy types of programs.

Now I learned the hard way there's no such thing as a Google Kit, and fortunately we were able to cancell before getting hit with a rebill, as many were complaining about unathorized charges & quite angry about. But the issue that arises is NOT the rebill... it's Why would so many people defend criminal activity that damages the integrity of everyone's efforts, and then bash me for inquiring about it in the intrest of us all?

Sadly, while signing-up for a specific affiliate program last week, i had long forgotton the experience, until seeing that the program I joined was indeed offering these ads & landing pages within their program (among what i believe are several legit offers as well)

Being many of the "Hosts" who organize these Advertisers & Merchants an afford us the opportunity to have variety, I don't necessarily believe it's all the "Hosts" fault as I imagine they're NOT responsible for the programs content within their network.{tho perhaps they should be!}

In addition, during the recent beating I took in the other forum, as everyone told me I won't make it in this industry if I don't back off my morals, and the issue magically turned into a matter of rebills, while everyone ignored the point; THERE WAS NO KIT.

I'm o.k. with rebills, so long as they disclose their offer, giving people a chance to cancel or what not. The difference with Google Kit was there is no indication during the "presell" nor up to the "point of sale" that this 'Google Kit' is indeed a fraud! Then, it works an angle by saying "You only pay shipping & handling" but even that's a lie, as there is NO PRODUCT being shipped.

I addressed this in the other forum, only because it was where the banner for the Network i joined was being promoted.

Is it just me, or is it ignorant to rush in, grab the quick buck, run a scam the industry and all the "trust" we attempt to build with our content, in an effort to convert our CTR, into sales, sign-ups, and essentially a profit?

It's obvious it's a war i cannot win, i simply can hope to encourage others to promote geniune offers, quality networks, and for the love of God whatever the product or service you're selling is... make sure you give the consumer what they're paying for, otherwise... we'll have so many victims that will run, not walk from our sincere and honest efforts to promote quality content.

In truth, i was hammered by 10 people telling me to quit this industry, while only 2 even 'silently implied' they agreed with me. Certainly, the other forum is NOT as concerned as I am sure 5 Star, Linda, and several of you are here for preserving business ethics, and making an honest and integral approach to this industry.

For those of you who are new like me, be sure you thoroughly review the programs you promote, and the end of the day... it's up to you how what direction you take, but as for me & mine, I'm keeping it real, hopeful, it will reap a greater harvest for us all!

Sorry, for the length of this post, but had to vent my frustration... as I've abandoned the other thread, and they're still launching an attack. I sincerely would like to rid the internet of Kevin Hoeffer's ignorant destruction of trust, fraud, and feloneous actions using Google's name to snare unsuspecting victims. That's just sad!

Thanks for reading, and if one good thing comes from this thread, then I did my job!

Also, I learned something else... Caveat emptor (Latin "Let the Buyer Beware")
and I agree for a standard rebill approach, but the guy who used this in defense of promoting crap, that doesn't include fraud.

Thanks for reading.

Art

The exact reason why Google is now starting to cancel adsense accounts of people promoting products like that.

It is a shame as well, there are many good rebill products out there too. I promote one of them myself. There are plenty of good supplements that follow this same method too (though plenty of affiliates have made false claims.. Acai Anyone?).

Just be true to your traffic/customers/list and they will like you more. As tempting as it is to nab that quick buck, I would rather work another year at my J.O.B. to do things the right way.

That makes two of us! Then if I'm not mistaken, your name was on a mailing list here that sent a message regarding the "begining of the end" from some religious finatical terrorist group. Which until this week, I didn't even know there were such videos being posted on video hosted sites like YouTube, that too was quite disturbing.

So, I'm looking forward to the close of this week, as there been an unusual amount of negative imploding upon my path to find true knowledge & wisdom.

I agree with you totally. And like Clint said that's why Google is banning Adwords accounts that sell "Google kit" type programs and it's why the FTC is cracking down on Google Money Tree and some others too including grant scams.
FTC Cracks Down on Scammers Trying to Take Advantage of the Economic Downturn

I see 3 distinct segments in our industry

1) Retail - real products like computers, guitars, furniture, shoes, etc.
(includes lead gen like loans and insurance)

2) CPA - free trials, rebills, zip submits, surveys and other "offers"

3) Info products - ebooks and courses

I tend to focus my training efforts and energy more on the retail side because there just aren't all the scams and shady offers. I think that’s where newbies should start too.

But there are those that want to make a quick buck, that don't care how they make it. Sounds like that's who you ran into. Offers like that, that are pure scams hurt not only the consumer but our industry too.

Then if I'm not mistaken, your name was on a mailing list here that sent a message regarding the "begining of the end" from some religious finatical terrorist group. Which until this week, I didn't even know there were such videos being posted on video hosted sites like YouTube, that too was quite disturbing.

NO there was no mailing list! I don't give or rent our list or send mail for people via the forum! No way on earth I would have let something like that go to our members!

I really quite shocked and embarrassed that you sound like you thought we could have something to do with that going out to members.

A spammer sent that to just a few people and we caught and banned him before he sent it to very many. So sorry he happened to send it to you. He just got the names of a few of the people that had recently posted and sent them PMs. Sorry for the inconvenience!

Oh no Linda... not by any means was I implying you'd ever allow or condone such nonsense! Perhaps, the words "mailing list" and my inexperience in how that translates to a seasoned marketer triggered the above post, but know this... I know this is CLEARLY not a forum supporting acts of terrorism in the US or any country for that matter! ~Nor was it meant to imply you give any info that supports such mails, I didn't realize how the wording would be recieved, so in an effort to rid your fear or embarassment that I meant it as negative toward you.... I sincerely apologize as this is the BEST forum I know of, and you've been a huge help!

So, I do apologize if that was worded improperly, I just remembered the name from the other gentlemen was included when they sent it to me. Not a big deal, I believe in freedom of speech, and religious practice... Just not when people abuse either.

Actually, I was shocked having seen just how many videos these persons have expressing anger towards our efforts to maintain democracy.

No worries, just wanted to be sure everyone knew it was a spammer.

I didn't even really read it just skimmed it and def didn't watch the videos. We get weird political stuff posted every once in awhile and I just ignore the content pretty much and hit the ban button as fast as I can. :eek:

Oh I just realized now that you explained what you meant by the mailing list and why you even brought it up to Clint.

The guy CCed several people so you and Clint were on the same list.
I see now what you meant. :)

At any rate, sorry if I sounded defensive, I misunderstood. :eek:

Thank you for the kind words!

No offended is what drove me back here where the sane people dwell!:D

Not into politics myself...I'm sticking with a more grounded philosophy.:rolleyes:

Hi Art,

I think it is unethical and have been scammed like this myself.
It was not the Google Kit offer but, A Grant offer.
Same thing happened though.
I think you did the right thing by leaving that forum and joining here.
Remember, Surround yourself by like minded people.

JimmyE

MI
Back