The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Propeller”/  MyBid

Protecting Your Ideas

Viktori

affiliate
If I were to hire a freelance website developer to make me a unique site or forum, what would stop him or her from just making a rival one after their job with me ends? The web developer would have a lot more advantages over mine since he or she would presumably have a lot more experience with promoting and running websites, so in this way I wouldn't have much of a chance of being competition, considering that I would still be experimenting and learning about online marketing for my particular theme at the starting point.

Would I need to hire a lawyer first to draw up a contract? How would I conduct this deal if I'm plan on doing my transactions online, hiring a freelancer from a freelance site?

I'm not really sure what you're asking. Are you referring to the theme itself? Or to the business concept? If you're using a local developer, and want to protect your business idea, you're right -- you'll want to have legal documents drawn up. If you're dealing with someone overseas... well, let's just say that if they don't keep your info confidential, you're going to waste a lot of money trying to get compensated for the breach of contract.

I don't see much of a problem, because each client will have different instructions and no website developer should want to produce a website or forum for a client that is not unique. As for stealing your website ideas to use on their own website, what would be the point of a website designer replicating a business website or forum?

As far as business ideas are concerned, anyone could visit your website or forum and think of using the same format or features. No-one will want to duplicate your website, but some might be inspired by it to try some of your ideas. Your content is protected by international copyright law. If anyone copies your original content there are several things you can do. You can report them to their webhost. The website owner will be told to remove the stolen content or have their website removed.

Well, you can always have a contract. If there's breach of contract, then you can file legal complaints or raise the issue with the webhost.

I'm not really sure what you're asking. Are you referring to the theme itself? Or to the business concept? If you're using a local developer, and want to protect your business idea, you're right -- you'll want to have legal documents drawn up. If you're dealing with someone overseas... well, let's just say that if they don't keep your info confidential, you're going to waste a lot of money trying to get compensated for the breach of contract.

Yes, I was referring to the business concept. I suppose you're right though, it's hard enough to protect these ideas offline, that it's probably a lot more difficult to conduct this type of transaction online.

I don't see much of a problem, because each client will have different instructions and no website developer should want to produce a website or forum for a client that is not unique. As for stealing your website ideas to use on their own website, what would be the point of a website designer replicating a business website or forum?

As far as business ideas are concerned, anyone could visit your website or forum and think of using the same format or features. No-one will want to duplicate your website, but some might be inspired by it to try some of your ideas. Your content is protected by international copyright law. If anyone copies your original content there are several things you can do. You can report them to their webhost. The website owner will be told to remove the stolen content or have their website removed.

Well, I was mainly worried because these web guys will almost always be more knowledgeable than me when it comes to online ventures. By that, I mean it would be much easier for them to gain audience, and do it in much faster time as well. If I were to render the services of someone, and he or she chose to run off and make his or her own, I would be beat in no time as they would presumably have a head start even if mine was made first.

I appreciate your suggestion about reporting them though. I'm not too sure how much of a protection it would serve for me, legally speaking, but it's at least something. I'll have to look into it some more to find out how it works.

Thanks so much for your input so far guys! Keep them coming!

If the developer(s) in question have been programming custom scripts, solutions, or websites altogether for a long period of time, chances are they have no time to be your competitor. In fact, they may be making their living selling premade scripts that are often asked for instead of actually programming them from scratch, adding the customers requests as they see fit. This is not something rare, as I know a few developers guilty of this who are handy with a few base projects to expand on, on request. Your question is not unreasonable, however, as I bet it does happen. This is why you create a plan of action from the very beginning, before your site is even up off the ground so that you get traffic and gain authority the moment the site is ready.

You can go with a lawyer or contract it, it's up to you. In the majority of cases, there is nothing to worry about. Make sure you go with a company who is known for doing excellent work and ONLY developing websites if you're paranoid about this.

yeh make him sign some terms and conditions to make sure all information he knows he does not give out its like if you work for the government you sign a contract to not talk about anything you learn or see in the secret areas like area 51 and stuff

If the developer(s) in question have been programming custom scripts, solutions, or websites altogether for a long period of time, chances are they have no time to be your competitor. In fact, they may be making their living selling premade scripts that are often asked for instead of actually programming them from scratch, adding the customers requests as they see fit. This is not something rare, as I know a few developers guilty of this who are handy with a few base projects to expand on, on request. Your question is not unreasonable, however, as I bet it does happen. This is why you create a plan of action from the very beginning, before your site is even up off the ground so that you get traffic and gain authority the moment the site is ready.

You can go with a lawyer or contract it, it's up to you. In the majority of cases, there is nothing to worry about. Make sure you go with a company who is known for doing excellent work and ONLY developing websites if you're paranoid about this.

This is great advice, thanks. I was hoping to get to learn for a while as I build the site up, but I suppose it's something I'll have to compromise on. I think my best bet would be to have a plan of action like you said. I'm just not nearly well-versed enough in getting members and content in a limited amount of time, but you've opened my eyes that it is probably necessary.

Your business concept is only a 'road-plan' for your developer, but how are going to operate it, what marketing and advertising tactics you are going to employ to promote your site, what type of content you're going to upload there, and how you're going to promote and sell your products and services are all your own efforts.

So your developer may develop a site using your business concept, and he will do it even if you have a written commitment from him not to do so, but he would not probably have the time and also the means to observe how to approach your business is beyond his personal scope after he completes his job on your site. So you shouldn't worry much over how he will misuse your business concept at all.

If the web developers were stealing ideas, concepts and other things, they would never be able to work as a website developer on the first hand. The next thing is that web developers are more confined to coding and developing sites, not marketing them and this is why a good organization has different departments - design, coding, seo etc.

I can say the above just because I myself have been working as a website developer and know that if I ever started to steal ideas of my clients, I would not only lose the work I am supposed to get but also, I will lose the goodwill that I have earned. I dont deny that there might be people out there on the planet who would not mind stealing ideas but then, their growth would be stinted and limited - because following someone elses path in your constraints and limitations will rarely take you to success.

I don't think that website developers work like that. If anyone does such a thing that will hurt his reputation and it will be difficult for him to work as web developer again. I don't think anyone would take such a risk just to steal an idea from his employer.

Well, you will always have to protect yourself first no matter what because you cant' trust anyone nowadays. People steal ideas like there is no tomorrow and its hard for you to prove that its yours because it's the web and so that makes it more difficult because everyone is running community sites. How can you say that your ex-developer steal your community ideas when there are already a million of community ideas that are very similar to each other. However, if the worker has a new business that is way too similar to yours and he worked on it with you then you can sue but it's still very difficult so you have to draw out contracts from the beginning to avoid any duplication. You would set the terms and if he makes a business way too similar to yours then you can sue and you would have a copy to prove it.

Before arguing on this point we need to understand that the good we secure for ourselves is precarious and uncertain until it is secured for all of us and incorporated into our common life. Yes I wanted to mean that even if you hire a lawyer you may never be at ease. First you don’t know the real persona in your potential lawyer; secondly if such website developer exceeds your earning by a penny you may even be at risk of loosing the lawyer himself. Here you need to know that the internet is unsecure place and ensure you make proper research to get the best developer for your site.

I'm sure you heard of Mark Zuckerburg right? He was contacted about a idea(Facebook), and he developed it for himself instead of the developers that were paying him for the job. It's not exactly the same idea, but he used their ideas to create his own(expand on it).

You have to be careful when picking a developer, and make sure they have a good reputation as well as the required skills to complete the job, if you have a unique idea that could be big.

While I can see the wariness of hiring out your work, you have to remember that what you are requesting, probably isn't completely unique either. You have seen elements of another site or two and you are combining them into what you want. Also, you may have requested something, but the designer improved upon your idea, so it's a give and take that you would need to have within your mind.

banners
Back