The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Adavice”/  “1Win

Promoting merchants and their competitors

itsalluphl

affiliate
Hi,

I have a pet web site where I promote pet supplies and such. The merchants I represent, don't compete with each other as they all have something unique to offer. I'm thinking to add a section for pet insurance because it's a highly profitable niche. This would mean promoting several insurance carriers who do compete. Is this ethical or am I shooting myself in the foot by doing that?

Luba

Hi Luba,

Here in the UK we have many websites whose sole purpose in life is to compare different insurance companies ...

i don't see it as unethical at all ... but i suspect you would create a stronger selling proposition to the public if you focussed on just one or two providers rather than several, your promotion will seem more genuine ...

just my thoughts :D

I agree with Anomaly. It's perfectly fine of offer competing insurance companies and it CAN improve conversion rates when you offer visitors a choice instead of hoping they like the ONE you happened to pick.

You can do a review and comparisons of 3 or so hightlighting each one's benefits or you can just say here are the top 3 pet insurance companies. There are a variety of ways to do it. I'd look at some sites similar to your that are offering insurance. Pretend you are your average visitor, see what approach seems best if you were in the market.

Hope this helps and best of luck!

Well, something like insurance is definitely an industry that is used to "shopping around" so to speak. i think it would be fine to offer a few, just don't go overboard.

How are you going with your pet insurance stuffs?

I have a website here in the uk, its my first attempt to affiliate marketing and i think i'm starting to get things right.

Its a growing market in the US and Canada, so I suggest you invest in this market and cash on it! :)

MI
Back