The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Propeller”/  Direct Affiliate

Popular UK domain extensions??

olimits7

Website Owner
affiliate
Hello,

I was just curious what are some of the popular UK domain extensions??

I want to add my domain to a UK extension, but I don't know which are the most popular in the UK. I tried regisitering 'co.uk' but that extension is already taking.

My website is a reseller of products, so I was thinking of trying 'uk.net' or 'uk.com'. Or I guess I can also just try using a UK subdomain, like 'uk.domain.com'.

Thanks,

olimits7

THE UK domain extension is .co.uk , if that is gone, you may try .uk.com , that is also popular but significantly more expensive. uk.net is not a great domain name to buy.

Good luck.

Thank you for your quick reply!!

What do you think about using a UK subdomain (uk.domain.com)? Are those popular in the UK, do a lot of websites in the UK use that format?

Thanks again,

olimits7

.co.uk is the one to have.
All others are compromises and don't even reach second choice in my book. One important aspect of a domain name is memorableness for typing into the address bar.

The automatic question that comes to mind with 90%+ of UK surfers is "Was it .co.uk or .com"

It is well worth compromising on the ideal name that is more than likely available on one of the more obscure suffixes. Just use some creative thinking and a bit of lexibility to come up with an acceptable .co.uk it's worth it in the long run.

I will agree with smeagain's suggestion that you may want to compromise on the ideal name, do some creative thinking to get a domain name with .co.uk extension but if you MUST have that particular name you want and cannot get the .co.uk, .uk.com is the next best thing, failing that, any extension will do but it will not have a strong uk association .co.uk or .uk.com will give you.
The uk.domain.com you asked does not have any UK association, its the extension that give the association rather than having "uk" about 2 dots away from the domain extension.

Yes, I guess I can register ".uk.com" for now until the ".co.uk" becomes available one day.

I just found this website in the UK that isn't listed with ".co.uk". It's called "play.com"; is this a popular site in the UK? It's strange that they wouldn't use the ".co.uk" extension.

olimits7

some UK companies us .com domain extension and then forward their .co.uk to the .com, however MOST companies that wants to be instant hits with UK users uses .co.uk .

I tend to prefer .x.uk domain endings - .uk.com looks weird to me!

If you "MUST" have your first choice and nothing else, I would still hesitate (and hesitate again) before going to "firstchoice.uk.com" (or any other fringe suffix) for the reason that you will very likely loose a significant number of type-ins. This is especially harmful if "firstchoice.co.uk" is either a competitor or other such similar themed site.

I repeat what I said above:
The automatic question that comes to mind with 90%+ of UK surfers is "Was it .co.uk or .com"
Be dot something else at your peril.

xhana and smeagain are both right but I have a very stong felling that olimits7 is VERY keen about using a particular name which ties in with the brand he is trying to promote in UK.

Brand Loyalty at all costs can be to the detriment of a sites performance particularly when moving into a new Geographic Area such as the UK. Whatever your Brand, I suspect that almost nobody in the UK has heard of it so the only reason to use it at all costs is Your own personal pride or vanity.

Sorryto be so blunt, but to me it is the success of the site that is more important than my pride or vanity when I choose a Domain Name in a Crowded Market where it is normal to find the Ideal Name to have long gone.

I think your better going with domain.com/uk apple does it so it can't be all bad :p

you should compare like with likes Xhana, Apple is not just any company :)

its xhan grr! lolz ;)

true but that way you still get to have the same domain name without using obscure uk ones if the .co.uk one is taken.

banners
Back