The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“AdsEmpire”/  Direct Affiliate

Opt in e-mails and cookies

P

positivecarry

Hello everyone,

I am not really sure how to ask what am I wondering here, but... here goes,

When a merchant has an e-mail capture page to follow up with free e-mail which hopefully leads to a sale, am I taking out of the equation here? Is this a case by case basis. Bit confused about the whole thing, any light shedding appreciated. Thanks.

I'm not real sure and think the answer is, it depends.

I think remember some affiliates complaining about some big retailers wiping out affiliate cookies if customers bought from their newsletter. I would assume that to do that the merchant would need to be using house affiliate links and then if customers buy from a newsletter link "the house" would get credit for the sale.

A merchant could argue they were just using the affiliate link for tracking but in affect the house link would act like a 2nd affiliate link and take credit as the "last in" cookie.

I often wonder about all these IM products that are pushing optin so hard to try to build their lists. Sometimes they say we send follow up emails to help you close the sale. If they are not using affiliate links in their follow up emails (and they shouldn't be) then I don't think there's a way to negate or overwrite your cookie.

I don't really know much on this subject, just sort of sharing some thoughts.
Maybe someone else has some direct experience?

Well, thanks for your take on the matter. I need to investigate this somehow on my own for this program as my AM probably has 10,000 other affiliates.

I guess the whole issue is how the links in the emails they send interact with my cookie, etc, etc.

Yeah, contacted him a week ago,no answer yet, with a good network, but AMs are swamped these days. Or, maybe I just keep getting the worst AMs, no idea.

This is how it works:

Prior to putting the opt in on your site, you set up a series of emails with an autoresponder (you can get a free one at freeautobot.com). You choose how many days apart you want each email to be delivered.

Once a visitor opts in, they will begin to get your series of emails.

Within the emails, you will offer free advice and also talk about products. You will include your affiliate link to the product that you have talked about.

Sometimes you will make a sale, sometimes you won't, but it's all on autopilot so it runs itself. The trick is to build the biggest list you can because sales is really a numbers game.

Hope this answered your question.

No HL08, he's asking a totally different question.

He's asking if he is an affiliate, sends a visitor to merchant, the merchant sends a newsletter to the visitor, the visitor clicks a link in the merchant's newsletter and buys - will he get commission for the sale or does the merchants newsletter knock the affiliate cookie out of the picture? He sent the visitor initially, but the visitor didn't buy til they got the merchant newsletter.

banners
Back