The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“AdsEmpire”/  Direct Affiliate

Not making any money. Looking for suggestions.

gwagner

affiliate
I started a web business 6 years ago. Thinking all I needed was a website and merchandise, I spent over a year on that mall type web store and made only one sale that was purchased with a fraudulent card. That sale actually cost me money.

I gave up until I viewed an informercial on TV that promised guidance so that anyone could be a successful web merchant. I learned a lot and did set up a niche website. I still have made no sales.

This summer I was bound and determined to make my website successful. I joined a MLM program for one month. Again I made no money but I learned even more about network marketing. Through my poor man's research I learned about Affiliate Marketing. I have set up a new website that hosts advertisements for retailers that offer commissions. People can also shop with any of my clients. If I had it to do over again. I would have spent a great deal more time researching how to be successful.

I still have made no money but I love writing ads and designing my site. I am open to any suggestions anyone has.

Below is just my opinion, but since you asked. :D

So do you want to be an advertiser, or a publisher? You can do both, but its time consuming and can cost money. My first suggestion is to focus on one of these first (dont give up on the other, just start with one).

If you want to be an advertiser, and after you get your website going. I say focus on SEO. This can be time consuming and a little expensive, but its worth its weight in gold. Especially if you have a good niche. After/during SEO (as it takes 6 months plus to see results), I'd do some simple Google searches for the keywords in your industry. See who comes up, who are you competitors, what do their sites look like, what publishers are promoting them (and go after these publishers by contacting them and see if they will promote you as well). Be patient.

If you want to be a publisher, and after you get your website going. I say focus on SEO. Again, the best bang for the buck (IMO). Being a coupon site is good and bad. Its good because like you say if you have traffic then those advertiser links can make you money. But you need traffic. So you should spend sometime to figure out what are the keywords that you need for the advertisers on your site. You will need to break down and spend some money to bid keywords (be careful this can become costly, but its one of the faster ways to get traffic to your site). Learn Google Analytics, its free and one of your best friends. Dont ever guess, know the keywords that you need, Dont go for the most expensive words, but words that will work for your niche (its almost an art form). Be patient.

Anyway I think you got the 'be patient' part down. :)

Thank you. I know a little about SEO but I did not realize that it takes 6 months to see results. I publish classified ads also because of a bum marketing video I watched. I use keyword competition to promote them. I get more visitors to my ads than to my website but still no sales. I just want to be up and running by the end of this coming school year when I plan to retire.

the time that it will take depends on the competition that the subjec of your site has... If you have just 10 sites to compete it will take less than 6 months but if there are 1 million sites-competitors you shoul be patient! I agree that SEO is the first thing you sould do...

OP
Yes its very hard for a new site to get going these days, so much competition, and many of the affiliate networks are aimed at big sites or big companies only.

(I have sent you a pm)

The most important thing is targeted traffic. Have you try promoting your website via PPC (pay-per click) or social networking sites? Also, try to build a list by hosting some kind of reward program (like sign up for our e-mail list for a chance to receive free $20 gift card) or something like that.

banners
Back