The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Adavice”/  “1Win

Niche forum participation?

scottkeith75

Hello all,

I have vaguely heard of people joining forums in their particular niche areas to promote potential backlinks, but this seems very tedious. In my niche (not affiliate marketing), I have visited many forums that state evidently clear, that you are not to promote links, or your website on their forum. Is it primarily on their forums, or can you private message people whom could benefit by reading some of your content on your blog?

Any information that could clear this up would be beneficial.

Thanks!

Private messaging would definitely be inappropriate and would probably get you banned.

I don't participate in forums for the backlinks. I try to find forums that provide valuable information to those who might be interested in my site, then I provide good information to them. They like me, maybe they look at my profile and visit my site, which again provides valuable information. Many, but not all, forums allow for signatures. I find that I can get a lot of traffic from those signature lines IF I HAVE POSTED VALUABLE INFORMATION to a forum that would have interested readers.

While I use my signature rights on this forum, I do recognize that the interested readership for my specific niches is low. I come to this site primarily to GAIN information, rather than provide information. The reverse is true in forums that apply to my niches.

I view forum posting not for backlinks, but as free advertising for the existence of my site, and to join a community of people with similar interests. Tedious? Depends on how interested you are in your niches in the first place. Another benefit of selecting niches that appeal to YOU rather than just look like they will make money.

Private messaging would definitely be inappropriate and would probably get you banned.

I don't participate in forums for the backlinks. I try to find forums that provide valuable information to those who might be interested in my site, then I provide good information to them. They like me, maybe they look at my profile and visit my site, which again provides valuable information. Many, but not all, forums allow for signatures. I find that I can get a lot of traffic from those signature lines IF I HAVE POSTED VALUABLE INFORMATION to a forum that would have interested readers.

While I use my signature rights on this forum, I do recognize that the interested readership for my specific niches is low. I come to this site primarily to GAIN information, rather than provide information. The reverse is true in forums that apply to my niches.

I view forum posting not for backlinks, but as free advertising for the existence of my site, and to join a community of people with similar interests. Tedious? Depends on how interested you are in your niches in the first place. Another benefit of selecting niches that appeal to YOU rather than just look like they will make money.

Hi AZJay!
Very kind of you to post such an informative, and detailed reply. I should qualify the fact that I have limitless interest in my niche, but the learning of ALL the 'ins and outs' of Affiliate Marketing while writing my reserve content, learning about SEO, Backlinks, Blog design (I had never built a website before these 3), and everything else has me feeling as though eating breakfast is 'tedious'...lol.

I see your overwhelming point here, and think it dead on accurate--join forums to help people, help as many as you have time for, publish your site address in the signature, and you will gain subscribers and monetize in the end.

Thanks very much for your help Jay!

You may gain subscribers or customers, or you may not. What you are doing with forum-posting, for better or worse, is establishing your reputation so be careful. Those who try to scam and spam forums and their members eventually learn that the internet community has a very long memory.

You may gain subscribers or customers, or you may not. What you are doing with forum-posting, for better or worse, is establishing your reputation so be careful. Those who try to scam and spam forums and their members eventually learn that the internet community has a very long memory.

Hi Minstrel,
I fear that I somehow am communicating that I am a spammer, or scammer, by some of the replies I have gotten to my postings here. True, I want to monetize my site--and efforts, but I go into this with the intention of helping people with knowledge that I have that may help them. I never appreciated being spammed, nor would I ever involve myself in that kind of activity. I do see how AM'ing will take a lot of time and effort to maximize my rewards, and provide the best product that I can. I am not going to be able to indulge in many non-productive activities during designated work hours. Also, I know that people are benefiting from forum activities, so I asked this trying to see what could/should be done in this arena.

lol, not getting overly sensitive at all--I just want to ensure I am not mis-communicating who I am, or what my intentions are.

Thanks so much for the reply Minstrel.

I fear that I somehow am communicating that I am a spammer, or scammer, by some of the replies I have gotten to my postings here.

No, not at all, Scott. I did have some specific individuals in mind when I wrote that but I assure you that you were not one of them and the common was not aimed at you or anyone else here.

Rather, it was intended as a reminder. I'm trying to highlight that when you as a businessman put yourself out in the public eye of the internet, you need to be aware that potential colleagues, partners, and custoimers are watching. And ultimately success comes to those who are ethical in how they conduct their business and who succeed in conveying that reputation in their public personas.

No, not at all, Scott. I did have some specific individuals in mind when I wrote that but I assure you that you were not one of them and the common was not aimed at you or anyone else here.

Rather, it was intended as a reminder. I'm trying to highlight that when you as a businessman put yourself out in the public eye of the internet, you need to be aware that potential colleagues, partners, and custoimers are watching. And ultimately success comes to those who are ethical in how they conduct their business and who succeed in conveying that reputation in their public personas.

Hi Minstrel,
I absolutely understand the point you are making there. I completely respect you opinion, and like to think I am smart enough to 'empty my cup' when conversing with those who know what I wish to learn. I have yet to come across a business, a relationship, or anything else in life that does not reward good ethical and moral fibre (in the long run anyway). Please know that I am 100% sincere when I say I listen to everything you say, and am very appreciative of the time you spend in replying and offering advice. I promise you it does not fall on deaf ears.

Thanks very much Minstrel!

to be short:
The main idea with forum posts are the you will place a backlink in the signature and each post will mean a new backlink

to be short:
The main idea with forum posts are the you will place a backlink in the signature and each post will mean a new backlink

I completely disagree. See above. Then do some more research to learn that your thoughts are incorrect.

There's also another kind of forum backlinking that's... kinda controversial.

I'm not a big fan of it myself, though I do use it, because it's effective.

Instead of signing up to related forums and getting links from your signature, you just put a link in your profile.. and then you move on to the next forum. The forums don't have to be in your niche, it just has to be a site that allows you to put a link on your profile page.

Though to help clear the air... having lots of signature links from the same page isn't as beneficial as some people claim it to be. After a few links, they become diluted and for SEO purposes aren't worth much.

Instead you should look at forums as a way to build a reputation for yourself and become known in your niche. Provide a signature link about something related, and if people are interested in you and your link... you'll get some traffic.

There's also another kind of forum backlinking that's... kinda controversial.

I'm not a big fan of it myself, though I do use it, because it's effective.

Instead of signing up to related forums and getting links from your signature, you just put a link in your profile.. and then you move on to the next forum. The forums don't have to be in your niche, it just has to be a site that allows you to put a link on your profile page.

It's a little beyond "controversial". It's spam, pure and simple. I make a point of searching out profile spammers and when I find them they are reported to the forum spam database (which makes it more difficult for them to register at any forum using that database) and banned.

I never thought of this as spam, but simply as a waste of my time. But, Minstrel, I do see your point.

Victor, I think you're spot on with your final paragraph.

It's a little beyond "controversial". It's spam, pure and simple. I make a point of searching out profile spammers and when I find them they are reported to the forum spam database (which makes it more difficult for them to register at any forum using that database) and banned.

Controversial indeed :D

MI
Back