The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Adavice”/  “1Win

Newbie with photo question

greenmama

affiliate
Hello. I'm starting a site and have a niche and idea for site design but not sure how to achieve since I'm new to this and don't know any HTML or CSS. I'm using Wordpress and Thesis Theme for site.

I would like to display pics (about 1" x 1") of products with small description underneath. The "gallery" would be about 4 pics wide and about 8 long and be on multiple pages.

1) Is there a plug-in that would give me that gallery look?
2) Instead of clicking on pic to get larger view is there a way to link the picture to the company website that actually sells the product so the customer can make their purchase?
3) If this is possible, how do I ensure I get credit for the sale? I guess I'm confused about how they are tracked. I know the affiliate programs give you banners and links and cookies are involved but still confused.:confused:

I've been looking for examples but most of them where e-commerce sites and I don't need a shopping cart. This site is similar to what I'm trying to achieve except they have the pic link to more detailed description then a buy button that then links to company website.

oops can't link yet, too new. hope you can picture what I was trying to describe.

thanks

Hi Greenmama,

The solution you are looking for is called a datafeed plugin. A merchant datafeed allows you to put all their products and descriptions on your site and a plugin for Wordpress helps make it easy.

There are several options but the best I think are Popshops and Datafeedr and they charge a small fee.

1st watch this video of a 3 year old building an affiliate store with Popshops to see how it's done. Introducing PopShops - Affiliate program data feeds in PopShops

With Popshops you need the Wordpress plugin: Affiliate datafeeds for Wordpress with PopShops

Here's a demo store done with datafeedr. Demo Websites • Datafeedr
You can check out how datafeedr works at that link too.

As far as tracking... 1st you would need to join the affiliate program through CJ or Shareasale or whatever network. (You need to be sure the network is supported by the datafeed tool you pick.) Then follow the instructions for the datafeed provider and when you are finished, the buy buttons or pics of the product will link to the merchant, with your affiliate ID so sales will be tracked back to you.

Hope this helps and best of luck!

Thanks soooo much Linda! I think this would work. Some of the companies with affiliate programs I'll be using mention Share-a-sale or Link Share but some do not. Do I contact the merchant directly to find out?
thanks again!

Some merchants have in-house programs and aren?t on an affiliate network. If it's a small program, not on a network it may not work with either solution. Both solutions have a list of the networks and programs they work with.

Click through on the merchant's join link and see where it takes you. If it's to a network you'll see which one. If the join link takes you to an application on their own site then it's probably an in-house program and therefore may not work, in fact they may not even offer a datafeed.

ok thanks. I think a couple that didn't have a association with program did mention they offer data feed but some did not. I guess for the ones that don't I would just use the banners and links they provide and advertise that way which is ok.

Do you know how receptive merchants are to approving people that have a new site? Do they require a certain number of posts and visitors to your site before they will approve you? I'm just wondering how to get started if they would want a lot of old content and visitors. I know they mainly check to see that you don't have illegal or offensive site.

Thanks again for all the help and tips. This board is great! I appreciate the quick responses too!:D

It can be really difficult getting approved and further more, getting datafeeds, if you don't have an established site. Now, that said, some merchants don't care and approve everyone. Some are a little more particular and may turn you down. If they do, send them a nice email explaining what you are trying to do and probably nine times out of ten they will go back and approve you.

Thanks Ron. That's what I figured but it's kinda of like looking for a new line of work. People want someone with experience but how do you get experience if no one will hire you.

I will give it a try and keep your email tip in mind.

Another question, do I apply thru each merchant or do I sign up with ShareASale (most merchants using this program) and then select the merchants I want to work with?
thanks!

banners
Back