The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Propeller”/  MyBid

NAMECHEAP USERS... I need some help...

Stevekeez

affiliate
Hi folks,

If you are using Namecheap I need help setting up a sub-domain. I am not using Namecheap for hosting, just registering my domain. I created a sub-domain space on the host but, as I understand it, I have to create the sub-domain name on the domain registrar (Namecheap) as well and connect the two, same as for the root domain name. I can't find anywhere on the Namecheap website where it addresses this issue.

Am I missing something (I am new to all of this)?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Steve

Hi Steve,

I've never heard of setting up subdomains on the registrar. Subdomains are only done on the host. For instance at 5 Star, the forum and blog are on subdomains set up at the host level. But at Namecheap I just have the root 5 star domain registered.

If you have mysite.com set up with XYZ.mysite.com and ABC.mysite.com set up as subdomains. mysite.com would be set up with Namecheap and the subdomains are set up on the host.

I think this is where you could be getting confused.

If however you wanted to register a 2nd domain called XYZ.com and didn't want to pay for hosting but wanted to REDIRECT the new domain XYZ.com to your subdomain XYZ.mysite.com you could do that through Namecheap. But you aren't setting up any subdomain at Namecheap, you are pointing a NEW domain at your existing subdomain.

I don't think that's what you want to do. But I'm thinking maybe that's what got you confused???

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!

I was thinking that creating a subdomain was a function of the hosting site, not the domain registrar site, and you've just confirmed for me! Where I got confused is when I read a tutorial on the web hosting site that told me how to create a space for my subdomain. But then, they said:

"Once your subdomain is setup [at the host site], make sure that you create the subdomain within your Domain registrar account."

I even pm'd the owners of the site and they told me I had to register the subdomain(s) at the registrar site! Well, now I know! And did I say ...

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!

banners
Back