The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Propeller”/  Direct Affiliate

My experience getting past the beginner's stage

danl

affiliate
This post is long overdue. I've been a member of this group for several months now. I joined because I wanted to know more about affiliate marketing. I spent a LOT of time looking through old posts just to get an idea of how people got started, what they're doing, challenges they might have faced, etc. The information was enormous but what really helped was the VERY generous spirit in which it was given. I was so impressed with all the helpful people.

As I read through the information, two themes kept reoccurring. First, was to go with a niche you're passionate about and the second was to take action. I think it was described as "get off the dime." Obviously, I covered a lot more territory than just those two themes but they're the ones that seemed to really stick with me. The passionate part threw me because (and I hate to admit this publicly) I'm just not that passionate about much. I really thought I was going to have to throw the towel in over that one. I was stumped and felt defeated before I even got to the starting line. Nevertheless, I kept the passionate thing in my mind and just let it roll around until one day I had something close to an epiphany. I suddenly realized that I had been looking at the "passionate" thing with blinders on. I'm passionate about a lot of things especially those things that I know little about. My passion is for discovering new things. I love learning and have an insatiable curiosity. Knowing that really made my day but I still had one more thing gnawing at me. I needed to commit to a course of ACTION.

I'm the kind of person who makes a lot of lists. So I got out my pen and paper and began making a list of the things that I felt were keeping me from turning my research into action. I knew I wanted a website but the big problem with that was that I had no idea how to build a website. After sifting through all the information on website building I finally decided that I would teach myself how to build one. I bought a book for around $20 and for the next several weeks studied it from cover to cover, using only a text editor to create the site. My first site wasn't a conventional affiliate site. I was marketing my own service. I spent a lot of time promoting my site through article publishing and was very happy to see traffic steadily growing. I did make some money from the site but I still wanted to get into a more conventional affiliate site.

Next I bought SBI (Site Build It). I did this because I wanted to concentrate on SEO principles and from what I read, SBI would help me through it. It took another two months for me to build a site using SBI. It's been up for about 2 1/2 months. I've continued to publish articles as a means of promoting my site and I think my efforts are paying off. Average visitors per day is right around 12. That's up from 1 when I first started and although it's not a great number, it's satisfying to see. I've even made a little money from it to boot and I can see my site is getting some good billing from Google. I'm not on the first page of search results. Page 2 is the closest I've gotten so far but that's a far cry from oblivion when I first started.

Well, I won't belabor the point but I do want to let my fellow newbies know that things do start falling into place once you've started on a course of action. Sometimes (okay, a lot of times) it's slow going but progress can be so satisfying. Be patient with yourself. If you find yourself in a bind, step back away from the problem a bit to find that epiphany moment. Finally, there are going to be lots of mistakes. I'm still making them but I won't let them get me down (for more than a few minutes!). Hope you enjoy yourselves as much as I have as you find your way in affiliate marketing.

Thanks for making that post and giving us an update. It could help provide some encouragement for some or our newbies.

The very important thing you are doing is being patient and realizing that it takes time and work. Too often there are people who get started but give up because they didn't find quick success.

It sounds as if you have the right attitude.

Thanks, Larwee. It's nice to be posting again. I really do hope that my thoughts will help others. It does take tremendous patience to see this thing through and a lot of hard work but there is a payoff. I'm hoping that I'll be able to post more frequently now that I've finally got my website up and going. There's still a lot of work to be done and I still need advice on how to proceed. I'm sure you'll be seeing me around from time to time.

Hi Dan,

What a heart warming story. It's so nice for us to be able to hear about people's start up experiences and nice to know in some small way we helped!

"Finally, there are going to be lots of mistakes. I'm still making them but I won't let them get me down
(for more than a few minutes!).
"

A super affiliate the other day blogged "start failing HARD and start failing fast"
because in this business it's one of the best ways to learn!

The only guys that aren't making any mistakes are the ones
that probably haven't "gotten off the dime" yet.
:p

So it's good to see you moving forward and making progress. Keep us
updated on your successes and any lessons you learn from your mistakes too. :)

Hi Dan

Thanks for posting this and congratulations to you! You've obviously put in a lot of work and have a lot of determination and staying power. It really helped to read how much effort and time you put into building a website and to see how many visitors you're getting. The temptation when you're new to this (or at least it has been with me!:D) is to give up when you don't get "instant" results and think that you're doing something wrong and are not cut out for this. I think you need to keep reminding yourself that it will take time and continued effort. Anyway, thanks for the encouragement and I wish you an increase in visitors and continued growth.:)

Yes, you're so right. Waiting for the results can be real discouraging and there are times when self-doubt dominates my thinking but I try not to stay there too long. When I recognize what's happening, I have to consciously pull myself back to a more constructive way of thinking. Believe me that takes a big effort.

On a side note, I've just started a PPC campaign to drive more traffic to my site. Up to this point I've been concentrating on getting free traffic and I'm continuing with the free traffic approach but I want to see how PPC advertising will affect my results. I'm starting off VERY conservatively so again results will be very slow in coming. I'm only in the second day of PPC advertising and already I'm tempted to jack up my bidding. It's all I can do to leave it where it is for the time being while I take a look at how it's affecting traffic.

Best of luck to you (from another Dan!)

Seriously, the hardest part is getting going with that first site. After that it does get easier, really.

Also I wouldn't take that advice about only doing what you're passionate about too literally....for instance, it's easy to waste a lot of time in niches that aren't profitable or which are way too competitive if you only use your passions as a meter.....instead, it sounds like you're taking a healthy, natural curiosity about life and a desire to learn things and THOSE are wonderful things to be passionate about!

Dan

I think one thing that helped me is i spend a little bit of each day learning. I follow the 80/20 rule...
80% spent "doing"
20% spent "learning"

I think to many people spend to much time learning and trying to find the best way to do something and the neglect the actual "doing"

That's a very useful rule to follow. I might add that you go into the "doing" part with a handful of solid goals for what you want to accomplish. Write them down if you have to just to help keep you focused. Having concrete goals is one way that I use to help keep me on course.

MI
Back