The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Propeller”/  MyBid

Monetizing your Blog

sarahk

affiliate
When I started my Simple SEO blog I didn't really expect it to amount to much but it has with articles being used on "Ask Dave Taylor" and at other big sites.

I added adsense ages ago but the conversion rate is appalling.

I just added amazon books (and think its really rather nifty) and CJ.

The blogs that seem to earn the most money are those that people can't wait to leave. I don't want to run that kind of blog so I have to go for a more measured approach.

What experiences have you all had?

I make more with my Celebrity Blogs than my business blog. But my Business Blog is newer so hopefully that will increase.
Most of my income comes from Adsense and Adbrite.

Hi Sarah,
My business blog and my WordPress SEO blog both convert AdSense poorly, though I must admit it's partly my own fault because 1) I didn't optimize my AdSense on either site to the fullest; and 2) AdSense isn't the primary concern for either site.

I have blogs that aren't ugly, spammy, or garbage sites (people have actually taken the time to thank me for the content or compliment the layout) that convert AdSense around 10%+. These sites have absolutely nothing to do with marketing, business, blogging, SEO, or otherwise and they earn the most with AdSense.

With that said, the more tech, marketing, and business savvy the audience, the greater the ad-blindness.

So, unless you weave the AdSense into your site incredibly well, your blog will probably continue to convert at next to nil. Something else to consider is that while you may weave your AdSense so well that visitors think they're clicking to read an article, but are whisked away by AdSense, you could be sending someone away who would have purchased a product from one of your affiliate links had they stayed at your site.

A while back, I wrote an entry titled Think Outside the AdSense. It's meant to remind people that there's more to earning money online than contextual advertising. You must consider what the best avenue is for your particular audience whether it's affiliate products, your own product, or contextual advertising.

My 2 cents,
~ Teli

Hi Robyn,
Actually, it's not.

I was awed by their integration of the AdSense. It's a perfect example of what you can do to increase the CTR, but also a perfect example of sending valuable traffic away that may purchase something from an affiliate link.

~ Teli

I've found Amazon aStore particularly effective and RSS advertising via FeedFlares.

This past year I've managed to build subscribers, and readership retainment, whilst making more money!

Given that I've dabbled in affiliate marketing since 1998 - albeit as a hobby - it wasn't an overnight success by any means! ;)

I looked at FeedFlares and it felt spammy. I guess I was wrong. This is going to sound stupid, but they *are* getting permission to advertise on those feeds, right? I don't see how they aren't getting it, but for some reason it seemed like they weren't getting permission.

If I'm wrong here, I'd love to advertise w/them. Their prices seemed really, really low.

banners
Back