The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Adavice”/  “1Win

Mississippi Legislation

Melanie10

Industry Pro
affiliate
There is currently legislation pending in Mississippi that will require out of state merchants to collect and remit sales tax. Their version of the Amazon tax is SB2927. Since some merchants may opt to not collect the sales tax this has the potential to cause many merchants to remove Mississippi affiliates.

The version in Mississippi is much stricter than the versions proposed in other states. Like the other versions, if an out of state merchant uses affiliates nexus may be established. The big difference is that Mississippi's version does not have a threshold. Most of the other states set a threshold of $5,000 or $10,000 in sales (in previous 4 quarters).

If this one passes it will set a horrible precedent. Right now it has been referred to the Finance Committee.

If you live in Mississippi it is a good idea to begin preparing your business model and also reach out to your legislators.

Link to SB2927 http://index.ls.state.ms.us/isysnat...YlwyOTAwLTI5OTlcc2IyOTI3aW4ucGRm/sb2927in.pdf

Melanie,

Yes, so great to see you here.

For those that don't know Melanie, she is a one woman army, so to speak, who really has devoted countless hours of her time to help fight the internet sales tax. Her efforts have spawned several armies to battle this, organizing people who are not easily organized (self employed affiliates around the US), plus garnering the admiration and support of merchants and at least one network I know of. I've met her in person at various affiliate events - just one of the nicest, helpful people you could ever meet.

Thrilled to see you here and look forward to your updates!

Thanks Ron, for your very kind words. :) I will stop by with updates and will join in where ever I can.

The unofficial buzz on Mississippi is that it does have support but I am trying to dig a bit deeper.

MI
Back