The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Propeller”/  MyBid

Message Boards... getting started?

Jeffdeg45

affiliate
I am creating a website with a message board. I was wondering if anyone could help me out with how to get people to actually start posting. I know once people do, it will continue, but its getting started thats got me a little on edge. I just don't see people wanting to post on a board with no threads at all. I think once I can get a few hundred post, it will be a lot easier. Any suggestions on getting those first posts though?:confused: Thanks, Jeff

You don't indicate the content of your forum/board but until you have a body of content that people actually want to read and comment on (reply to) it's unlikely that individuals will take the time to register.

Start by creating your own content. Don't use auto-posters (e.g., RSS feed poster bots) because most people can spot those a mile off and bot posters look worse than limited content, in my opinion. Where permissible, link to your forum in signatures at other forums with related content (don't spam, though - that will just get you banned and marked as a spammer, which will have the opposite effect of what you want).

Be patient: As with most ventures on the web, go for the long haul, not the quick success. Most forums need a few years to really take off, and in the meantime they need to be nurtured with daily attention and care. If the owner/admin can't be bothered to log in to a forum every day, why should anyone else care?

See also this article I wrote a couple of years ago: Basic forum SEO: Start with the simple things.

Thanks David for the great info.

Jeff, David has started and/or worked at many forums so you can count on him as someone who really knows what he is talking about.

Make sure your Forum script is DO FOLLOW.

make sure the posts can be read by non-members, without logging in.

Make sure that your forum is a TOPIC that is something people want to join in the conversation!

make sure the posts can be read by non-members, without logging in

Definitely. Some new forum owners believe that by hiding the content they will encourage more registrations by visitors. It actually has the opposite effect in most cases.

MI
Back