The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Propeller”/  Direct Affiliate

Making affiliates work in Brick and Mortar

strangbad

affiliate
Forgive me for such an expansive question, but this gets at the heart of my dilemma: optimizing an affiliate program for walk-in retail spaces. I am looking for ways to show our affiliate program is working to our partners. Affiliate programs are pretty straight forward in cyberspace. You can easily map out how traffic is driven to a site where a purchase is made. Validating parking is one sure fire way, so our parking garage partners are happy. But how is this done in the real world so that our restaurants and retail locations know we are working to connect each other? Especially when customers do not always mention how they arrived at your location.

So it sounds like you are doing off-line affiliate marketing for local businesses?
Interesting concept! The obvious answer would be coupons customized with a unique id for each affiliate.

Here are a couple blog posts with specific offline affiliate marketing ideas.
5 Star Affiliate Blogs - Offline Marketing

Hope this helps and best of luck!

This is the age old question. As Linda pointed out, coupons are one sure fire way to get some tracking. If you develop a nice printable coupon, or make sure that all of the coupons you extend to affiliates are also acceptable in your stores, you should find some numbers to show the retail team.

Another way is to match back to customers. As most retailers, I'm sure you are able to track which individual customers shop through affiliate links. I would work on matching those customers individual to their behavior over all your channels. You'll be able to see a number of things:

1. How many new customers did the affiliate channel bring in that now shop in retail - that number should be a good indicator of how affiliates are driving brick and mortar sales.
2. Behavior of existing customers through the affiliate program and in retail locations.

Matching back to individual customers is time consuming and can be out of reach for smaller retailers, but if you can do that you sure can get some better numbers.

Hope that helped!

Thanks Linda.

Everyday I have this forum on my list of things to check and participate in. Time just seems to get in the way. I'll do my best to be more involved in the future. See you at the summit?

COOL! Would love to have you here more often,
but know how busy you probably are!

No Summit for me again this year. I have some health challenges that make travel difficult, so I have to stay here and just blog about it.

So if you come across any exciting news, send to me from the show
to I can cover it! :)

I got it but didn't read. We're taking strangbad's Brick and Mortar thread
off-topic talking about Summit. I'll send you an email about your email. :)

Anyone else have any ideas for strangbad?

Looking for B&M affiliate opportunities

Do any B&M stores have affiliate programs? I'm especially interested in electronics stores (Best Buy, Circuit City, etc.) that would allow me to post coupons or codes, giving a B&M customer a discount and giving me a payout for purchases.

Almost all of them have an affiliate program so that's no problem. But most coupon codes for you to get credit for the sale, they have to click on your link and then buy online. Not sure if most stores allow coupon codes to be used in the stores, but if they didn't you would not get credit UNLESS they gave you a custom coupon code that was hard coded to your account and didn't require a click and a cookie. Not sure if anyone offers that.

MI
Back