The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Propeller”/  Direct Affiliate

Looking for tracker not banners by Google Adwords

Mykel

affiliate
The title should have been "not BANNED" by Google, sorry.

I started using one of the popular trackers recommended on these forums on my 10 year old website. I replaced links to diffetent affiliate offers with tracker links. I used my own domain as a CNAME to the tracker.

After a couple of months all my Adwords ads got banned for "malicious content". It turns out they did not like the tracking links. The ads went directly to my website, the tracker links were only on the website itself. I removed the tracking links and linked to the affiliate offers through my own redirects again. My ads got restored.

I'm guessing that the particular IP assigned to me by the tracker was used by some other client to advertise shady stuff and got banned. I tried explaining that I'm using a specific tracker, but it was hard to do. The domain assigned to me had domain privacy. It's hard to prove that domain X is tracker Y when the whois info just says "John Smith".

Has anyone had this experience? Have you found a tracker that Google knows about and approves of?

Yeah, we've heard of that in the past, but the tracker should be able to resolve the issue with adwords or other ad networks when that happens.
To (partly) avoid these type of drawbacks, we've developed a tracking script that sits on your site and instead of going through a tracking link that redirects to your final url, you send the traffic directly to your site / landing page and all url parameters are recorded by the tracking script - very much like google analytics would capture the utm parameters.
Naturally, clicks on CTA's and conversions are also tracked.

What it allows you to do in addition is to configure your campaign following the exact guidelines of the google adwords tracking template.

Example:
Final url: yoursite.foo/feature

Tracking template:
{lpurl}?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&url={lpurl}

when visitors click on the ad the final url replaces the {lpurl} placeholder and adwords appends the "gclid" to your url

yoursite.foo/feature?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&url=yoursite.foo/feature&gclid=2193721391723

Note that you are never 100% safe of the "malicious" stuff, since when you add a link to an external resource such as an ad network, you can never know how they are being seen by big brother google.

@trackingdesk What do the URLs of CTA links look like that I place on my site? They have to be domains pointing to your IP, right?
I was linking from AdWords directly to my site. But Google scanned my site and found links to the tracker. They rejected my ads for that.

@Mykel yes, the CTA have to be URL's that are cnamed to our tracking domain.

We have quite a few users running campaigns on adwords, so you shouldn't have any issues.

It is not so simple. There is no guarantee that Google will not block it in future.
Set up all links took meny hours.

It is not so simple. There is no guarantee that Google will not block it in future.
Set up all links took meny hours.
Being on the vendor's list doesn't guarantee anything except that if you mess around with google, they will know to which door to knock. If you're on the vendor's list and you mess around, your clients will have the same "punishment" that @Mykel had, except that the vendor will have the ability to resolve the issue fairly quickly.
You see, a friend of mine working for CheckPoint (one of the biggest cyber security firm out there) forwarded me a post where they investigated voluum's behavior and associated it with cybercriminals (see the post here). What it means, is that perhaps google or some ad networks will not pick up any wrong doing, but checkpoint protected networks will probably block any content linked to their network. What it means also, is that you need to be careful and pay attention to what you do and what your users do.
Last but not least:
If things were simple, we wouldn't be here, wouldn't we?? And when it comes to google, there are no guarantees whatsoever, except one: Google is always right;)

banners
Back