Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Propeller”/  Direct Affiliate

Is Your WordPress Site Too Slow?

D

djbaxter

Is Your Site Too Slow?
by Peter Butler, The Keyword Academy
February 9, 2011

Is your site slow? Most of us can?t answer that question with much confidence. What qualifies as slow, anyway? This ambiguity creates a nice, comfortable excuse. It?s tough to think through ? so why worry about it? Seems like it loads up ok to me?

I?ll make things more clear: If you haven?t given serious thought to speeding it up, your site is slow. I promise.

As an internet marketer, you:
  • use WordPress for your site(s)
  • have multiple sites, and little startup capital, so you?re on an inexpensive shared host
  • are likely using a free theme, which may be outdated
  • LOVE plugins
I?m not saying any of these things to make you feel bad, and I?m not even telling you you need to change your ways ? this is just the way our field operates. If you want your site to be faster (and you do), you need to know what you?re up against, and what kind of simple changes you can make to improve your site?s speed.

Read more...

I had an ordeal with websites slowing down before Christmas break. My traffic was increasing, which was great news. But it was slowing down everyone else's sites, including mine, on the shared server.

One weekend, my hosting provider kicked me out of the shared server after receiving enough complaints from other siteowners. Of course, I didn't know that I was the culprit and I was about to write them a scathing email about site slowness as well.

That weekend, my hosting provider (Dreamhost) kicked me to my own VPS (virtual private server). This would be my own virtual database for the 10 sites hosted with them. This way, the database processes that my sites require will not mess up other people's websites.

From that point on, and it took me roughly 1 month or so, I learned as much as I can about caching, image optimizing, speeding up Wordpress, and MySQL clean ups. I had to because my bill would go up from $9'ish a month to $150'ish or more a month.

Long and short of it. The experience was helpful because now I don't worry about site slowdown, unless my VPS have technical issues. My bill is only $30 a month and I can scale traffic as much as I possibly could.

If you're looking to scale up your traffic. And you're feeling that your site is beginning to slowdown and you're on a shared server, such as a $9/mo hosting, you should consider a VPS. That way you're not affecting other owners sites. When they complain, and your provider determines that your sites are the culprit, then you're SOL. I've heard stories of host providers simply taking down a site because it was slowing down their servers. I suppose I got lucky that my host provider gave me the opportunity to correct the issues and the choice to stay on my own VPS.

Try the update. I used to have some issues with the Dashboard back in version 2.x but 3.x seems to have pretty much fixed those, and I know there were some additional Dashboard tweaks and other bug fixes in 3.1.

My site is getting slower, I don't know what to do. Image optimizing? How to clean up MySQL. I might delete anything important.

My site is getting slower, I don't know what to do. Image optimizing? How to clean up MySQL. I might delete anything important.

Log in to your phpMyAdmin account. Select all tables for the database. Then click Repair.

Repeat for Optimize.

I think using plugins like W3 Total Cache is one of the best options to speeding up your WordPress site. Also, leveraging browser cache is very important!

MI
Back