The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Propeller”/  Direct Affiliate

Is your WordPress blog not being indexed by Google?

DrMarie

affiliate
If your Wordpress blog is not being indexed, be sure to check the privacy settings. To do so, on the dashboard click on Settings and then privacy.

Wordpress blogs are automatically set to not allow search engine spiders.

I forgot to change my privacy settings on two new blogs recently and I was wondering why it was taking so long for Google to index them!

Just thought this might help someone else!
Marie

very true.
you might also want to edit manually robots.txt and remove the archive and tags (noindex) from the crawlers' eyes to avoid duplication penalties.

very true.
you might also want to edit manually robots.txt and remove the archive and tags (noindex) from the crawlers' eyes to avoid duplication penalties.

good pointers!

I actually did that with one of my blogs, I felt so ****** at myself!

very true.

good pointers!

I actually did that with one of my blogs, I felt so ****** at myself!

There is no duplicate content penalty. The worst that can happen is you may get a non-preferred version indexed.

Yes, this is actually true, Google changed their ways some times ago.
Not sure if it affects the SEs, though - unless they started using canonicalization as well. So no reason to beat yourself.

Yet this is something I have never looked into seriously - is WP adding the canonical parameter to internal links automatically? Any thoughts?

There is no duplicate content penalty. The worst that can happen is you may get a non-preferred version indexed.

@kikoman that is a surprising question. Are you aware you are promoting an online Ponzi scheme in the redirected signature link?

Kikoman...Wordpress is a great way to start a website especially if you don't know much about html programming.

You can either set up a free blog at WordPress.com — Get a Free Blog Here or have one on your own domain. It is much much better to have one on your own domain for a number of reasons. I believe wordpress.com has certain rules about affiliate links and you could get your website shut down which is a bummer if you have spent months working on it.

You can usually buy a domain name for $10 or so and hosting is generally about $5 a month. It's very easy to set up a wordpress blog and you can have a website up and running in minutes.

Nice Post Marie..and it's true..it's better to have your own domain rather than working on a hosted solution.. like blogger, typead, or wordpress.com..
With your own domain you can customize the Wordpress site with your own custom theme and plugins.,,which is restricted in hosted solutions and also..it's good to enable Permalinks as far as indexing is concerned ..!

"Wordpress blogs are automatically set to not allow search engine spiders"
actually when you install the WP you can choose to allow/disallow spiders, is not that are automatically set

Thanks for sharing :)
If you manually add robot.txt file for your blog index folder then there no need to change anytime stated above, else it becomes mandatory to select suitable option what Dr. Marie have suggested.
Enjoy blogging... Wordpress is the Best platform which is very easy to use, just book suitable domain, order hosting package and host your WP blog and enjoy blogging :)

wow, i didn't think to check the privacy settings to begin with! thanks for that comment. does anyone else have any other ideas what else could get in the way?
lokodomain

wow, i didn't think to check the privacy settings to begin with! thanks for that comment. does anyone else have any other ideas what else could get in the way?
lokodomain

1. an improperly constructed robots.txt file, if you have one
  2. errors in your permalink structure or an attempt to use "search engine friendly" URLs for permalinks when mod_rewrite is not enabled on your server
  3. errors in your .htaccess file

MI
Back