The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Propeller”/  Direct Affiliate

Interview with a DMOZ editor - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

temi

affiliate
UK WW: Does DMOZ gag its editors, why the anonymity?
DMOZ Editor: The Open Directory does not have a policy of editor secrecy. Most editors chose to remain anonymous to prevent constant pleas of ‘list my site’ etc. Many editors have also been targeted and even threatened in the past after sites have been removed simply because they are a names editor of a specific category. Any editor can and will edit/add/delete sites in a category with a named editor. It does not necessary mean the action was taken by the named editor.

UK WW: What made you volunteer to become a DMOZ editor?
DMOZ Editor: As a hobby and to help build a particular area of the directory that appealed to me.

UK WW: What sort of challenges do you face in your job as and editor?
DMOZ Editor: Spotting spam and sites that attempt to get duplicate entries under different url’s. Adding sites is just a small part of a Dmoz editors tasks. Quality takes preference. Another task is attempting to find replacement url’s for dead sites by searching the net. A dead site will be unreviewed by the system but only completely deleted after no substitute is found but an editor.

UK WW: Would you say quality of sites being submitted to DMOZ are improving or get worst over the time that you have been and editor?
DMOZ Editor: Sites of varying quality are constantly submitted. As editors we are more interested in the content of a site, many poor visual quality sites are listed if the content is considered to be of benefit.

UK WW: What is the satisfaction you gained from your job?
DMOZ Editor: I don’t see editing for the ODP as ‘a job’ it is a hobby that once involved in soon becomes very addictive. Seeing areas of the directory build, particularly niche areas that are of little interest to the majority of editors is also very rewarding on a personal level to see more information become available over the net.

UK WW: Does it ever clash with you day job?
No not at all, it’s a hobby and can be a relaxing one at that.

UK WW: There are rumours that some DMOZ editors are paid by AOL, is that true?
DMOZ Editor: No editors are paid. Site designers and technicians etc do receive payment but not editors.

UK WW: Are you senior enough to have a say in choosing new editors?
DMOZ Editor: I don’t feel answering this would help your understanding of the inside workings of the ODP and that is the reason for these Q&A. Sorry.

UK WW: If you can reorganise DMOZ, what changes would you make?
That’s a tough one but probably would involve moving away from AOL J

UK WW: There are always rumours of DMOZ editors accepting money to list a site, would you say that is and unfounded rumour?
DMOZ Editor: [FONT=&quot]No, not at all. In all walks of life there are people out to make money. 99% of editors are dedicated people concerned with creating and maintain the quality of the ODP. Editors that try to make money in this way are always found out in the end. The result is always an immediate ban and their own site(s) permanently removed from the directory. Thankfully such behaviour is rare. Editors constantly look out for those claiming to sell guaranteed submissions by scouring the net.
[/FONT]

Interview with DMOZ Editor Part 2
Interview with DMOZ Editor Part 3
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]

Excellent one Temi.

As expected they "don't accept money" lol

Hope you will ask my question in the second part.

Thanks Temi

So if they look at the content of a site when approving, then I guess Web Directories are not approved.

Thanks Temi

So if they look at the content of a site when approving, then I guess Web Directories are not approved.

Why not? I am not sure what they mean by "content". Content in my openion can be certain number of listings in each catagory or a written description of each catagory. There are many directories that fits into the above criteris therefore they should accept.

They accepted one of my crap blog (one post in every 03 months or so) :p I can guarantee you that I would not accept that one into my own directory because there are absolutely no good content. Also a blogger blog. :tongue:

UK WW: If you can reorganise DMOZ, what changes would you make?
That’s a tough one but probably would involve moving away from AOL J

That one caught my eye.

Many thanks for the interview.

Hey, temi,

If i have your permission,

can I post part one on my I'll cite it, and let the readers know that the interview belongs to your site.

And I'll link parts 2 & 3 to u, so the readers can jump over here to read the other parts.

Please let me know if I can do this.

take care

Adnan,
You beat me to it, I was going to do that at your forum over the next few day... yes, please go ahead :)
Temi

Status
Not open for further replies.
MI
Back