The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Adavice”/  “1Win

How to: Niche Research, Keyword Competitive Research

Linda Buquet

affiliate
I just wrote this over at Wealthy Affiliate and since it took so much time and was pretty good, thought I'd post it here as well.

A newbie had a fitness blog which was too competitive so he was not getting traffic. He decided to switch gears and just started a photography blog and asked if that was a good niche. He also asked if Adwords would be good to use for his $50 budget. My reply:

Even Photography is too competitive for a newbie IMHO. Your fitness blog looks great BTW.

If you can't find a smaller niche to start with and you know a lot about and are passionate about the niches above, then consider a small sub-niche of the main niche.

To find a good sub-niche try entering your root keyword, example Photography into a keyword tool like the free wordtracker tool with Google Trends. GTrends Tool From Wordtracker

Drill down pretty far on the page to try to find a niche that interests you and then research to see how competitive it is.

Or think of other things you are interested in that photography could be used for. "Pet photography popped into my head so I researched it. (not saying it's a great niche, just an example.)

PET PHOTOGRAPHY RESEARCH EXAMPLE:

Search volume 111 searches (see link below)
pet photography - Wordtracker GTrends Tool

#1 in Google predicts 248 visitors a day. (click on little graph next to search volume to see this.)

Competing pages in Google, optimized for the term "allintitle: "pet photography" 23,700.
allintitle: "pet photography" - Google Search
(To find this go to Google and search for allintitle: plus the keywords in quotes)

Adwords is the best place to get targeted traffic fast, but $50 is not going to get you very far on broad niches. So that's another reason to focus on smaller sub-niches.

Hope this helps and best of luck

I learned something new again. I didn't know the google-trends option on wordtracker... How could I have missed this one!!!:rolleyes:

Thanks for posting this!

I learned something new again. I didn't know the google-trends option on wordtracker... How could I have missed this one!!!:rolleyes:

Thanks for posting this!

You are very welcome.

It's easy to miss some of these tools. There are so many. But I like this one
because the 'trends' data and graphs are built right in so it saves a step.

Might try to start out on Microsoft ad center and get your feet wet per say because they are much more forgiving on the webpages ie terms,contact etc than Google is. Also the you will not pay as much for the keywords. Now I know you will not get the same amount of traffic but the point is to learn and loose your shirt going at the first time right!

Apperently I am not allowed to only post thank you...I should use the thank you button.

So I will post something more contributing this time around.

There is also another program that does a much more in-depth research its called Market Samurai..(FYI I dont have any affiliation with them). Just recommending a good tool like Linda has done.

Any ways thanks.

Kind Regards John

Great post, Linda. To add to this, you've potentially hit the jackpot if you can find these competitive gaps for keywords in small niches that offer big profit margins. This makes a PPC campaign a viable piece of your online marketing strategy.

banners
Back