The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Adavice”/  “1Win

How to Integrate affiliate links into site

nattayb

affiliate
I have started building my first site, and I have a good layout. My homepage explains my site and describes the different subcategories I offer as well as a brief overview of my general subject. The left side of my site has links to articles I'm currently writing relating to the subcategories. What I'm trying to ask is how should I work in the whole point of this site affiliate marketing? Should I just have links on my homepage and on the sides of the articles etc or should I attempt to keep it more appealing to people with no ads but instead links within the article recommending certain items with maybe an ad a the end of each? I'm just curious what has worked for the rest of you.

Thank you
Nate

It's such a personal decision and depends somewhat on the type of site, the layout and the type of products.

So here are a couple general suggestions.

1) It could take time before you figure out the marketing piece and start getting enough traffic to even think about an affiliate sale. Plus to get people and keep them you need content. Additionally some people get turned off when they get to a site that looks like it's just trying to sell them stuff, so if your site doesn't yet have much content, but has sales banners it can be a turn off to the new visitors you are trying so hard to build up.

So I would not worry too much about adding affiliate links at this stage. You have plenty of work to do figuring out site building, content generation and marketing.

PLUS every day as you learn more you'll find tips for things like how to find the best affiliate programs. If you add links right away, then figure out you didn't know how to pick merchants or didn't understand how to cloak links yet or a myriad of other things - you'll have to redo lots of stuff.

So I would wait JUST A LITTLE WHILE before adding links. Focus on content and marketing and LEARNING. Then you'll be in a better position to add links once you start getting traffic and have a better handle on how to play the game.

2) TEXT LINKS within the copy convert MUCH better than banners.

3) You'll typically get more traffic to your homepage than any other page, so I would have a couple key affiliate links in the homepage copy - but not too many.

Just an example for homepage - not saying this is best.
An overview paragraph about what your site is about and ESPECIALLY what benefits you offer your readers. Do talk about how great the site is, talk about all the ways it can help your readers.

Or ask questions and answer. Example: Are you looking for the best tips on body building? Tired of being scrawny? Want to beef up? We can help!
(May be funky copy, just whipped something up and don't know this market)

Then in the 2nd paragraph or so BUT still above the fold, add just a couple of your main general affiliate links in the copy, in natural sentences. Example "So if you are looking for the best natural body building supplements or books about how to get fit and build muscle.

Then within your articles add affiliate links in appropriate parts of the copy.
You could have a banner above or below or a text ad at the bottom of the article, but don't forget the text links in the copy.

Hope this helps a little!

Just to ad that the promotions that tend to work well oncontent sites are when you make product recommendations without appearing to be promoting them. I know it sounds strange but actually works

Also I think in future, once you have your content sorted, you should consider cloaking your affiliate links. That means making affiliate links that do not look like affiliate links. The easiest way to do this is redirect scripts
You are not cloaking the links to mislead visitors. The reason for cloaking links is affiliate links as is tend to be rather ugly. Also by cloaking your links, you reduce the risk of commission theft

I agree with Linda that text links withing the body of your content convert well. I am however currently experimenting with banners. I know a lot of the 'gurus' teach about banner blindness but the fact that major players on the net eg Yahoo still diplay banners. Must work or they would stop doing it

Good luck

Niche is right. I didn't mean to imply you should not use banners. Banners are great if you don't overdo it. I would use both.

I just see so many newbies building banner farm looking pages that I like to remind and stress the importance of text links.

Banners are great if you don't overdo it. I would use both.

I just see so many newbies building banner farm looking pages that I like to remind and stress the importance of text links.

Totally agree with you Linda. I sometimes come across these sites and have to move on quickly to avoid retinal burn:D

MI
Back