The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“AdsEmpire”/  Direct Affiliate

How to get a web link onto Wikipedia?

If you have a website that shares something almost unique
OR
If you create an outstanding material that definitely needs the link to your website than you will have a link from Wiki. :)
But, where's the great catch with this link? :)

You can just edit the page, and add a link. It could get deleted but it could end up staying, depending on what the moderators think with regards to suitability.

This will be definitely seen as spam, I have doubts that it will remain up more than a few hours. On the other hand, you might be right, I have not try this "strategy" until now. :)

It can work. I have done it in the past with some success. It really depends on whether the site in question is highly relevant to the page, and adding value.

Pointless trying to get a link from wikipedia, if your website contains good unique content about a specific niche you can get good back links from other resources!

Wikipedia will delete all links placed straight away!!

Wikipedia will delete all links placed straight away!!

Wrong. That's simply not true. It will delete a lot of links, for sure... but if you have something that is particularly pertinent to a page, they won't always.

Wrong. That's simply not true. It will delete a lot of links, for sure... but if you have something that is particularly pertinent to a page, they won't always.

Well if you want to spend your time trying to get wikipedia links feel free, what I am saying is if I have a site with good content that is worth linking to there are a lot better places to get links from that give 100% chance of staying there.

For example you are linking to Kendal cottages in your sig, but its not got a link on the cottages page of wikipedia, and if you did put one on it would be deleted, so it would be a waste of your time trying!

Only way to get a link back from wikipedia is having a site with history and authority for example the BBC.

So for normal link building for a small business & small web site it is not worth targeting wikipedia for links!

Luke... you are right that it would be pointless submitting the site in my sig to the cottages page of Wikipedia. This is NOT what I am suggesting. There are other sites that are far more suited to Wikipedia inclusion than that. I run over 200 travel sites and I assure that I have some sites that have multiple Wikipedia links and that those links - particularly collectively - do bring an OK amount of traffic.

Luke... you are right that it would be pointless submitting the site in my sig to the cottages page of Wikipedia. This is NOT what I am suggesting. There are other sites that are far more suited to Wikipedia inclusion than that. I run over 200 travel sites and I assure that I have some sites that have multiple Wikipedia links and that those links - particularly collectively - do bring an OK amount of traffic.

No problem, just making the point that for a small site & business its not worth it. Could you show me of an example of a wikipedia link you do have?

Thanks
Luke

I am willing to do a test for one of my websites, I will be back with the results. I'll search something that the link will have it's place there and see if it gets deleted.

However, aren't those links nofollow? Am I wrong?

..and I'm simply saying it depends on the site or business. As you say, in many cases, it won't work. In some, it does. Sorry, but I'm not going to publicly divulge which sites/links but I'll PM you with a small example...

..and I'm simply saying it depends on the site or business. As you say, in many cases, it won't work. In some, it does. Sorry, but I'm not going to publicly divulge which sites/links but I'll PM you with a small example...

If you would be kind enough to PM with an example, that will be great. I'm not running for a link from that place but I find this rather unusual to leave links on their site, even somehow related. :)

Sorry, I thought that was Luke again. I don't really want to give out this info to all and sundry. Perhaps Luke could just vouch for me that it can indeed be done. :)

It's not difficult to add links to wikipedia. the problem is getting them to stick, as some have said already. Trick is to create a page on your site of real value to the topic in discussion (that usually means a non-commercial page of interest). You can also add links to commercial sites, but it's usually well known brands (some of which have entire wikipedia pages about them - their history, products, etc).

Exactly, hal... at the end of the day, if you offer something that is actually a true asset to the page, then you will be in with a chance.

MI
Back