The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Adavice”/  “1Win

How to detect bot traffic?

Henderis

affiliate
Hello, I'm using Propeller Ads pops traffic for mobile CPA offers. Almost all my clicks come from zones that have CTR 50-100% (I'm using landers). Is it fake traffic or could be tracker issue (I'm using Mobidea tracker)? I can't make traffic optimisation decisions with information I got. Maybe someone could share tips how to detect bot traffic?

That CTR is high. Are all zones that high? Can you confirm you have no redirect scripts on your lander to send people direct to the offer. Very high or very low CTR rates usually are bots yes.

No, I'm not using redirect scripts on my landers. Not all zones have that high CTR, but those zones are sending most of impressions. I tried to optimise campaign by focusing only to zones that had conversions. Now I have positive ROI, but traffic volume is too low from those zones to earn something. Cutting zones with bot traffic is primary thing with pop-up traffic I think. But just looking to CTR it's hard to make decisions for me. Maybe someone could suggest other methods to detect zones with bots?

You can always have a very small button that human traffic won't be able to click - bot traffic will scrape and click. If you get clicks, workout the % of traffic clicking that invisible button and decide to cut the zone or not.

Make 2 campaigns on your tracker.
1st Setup as normal
2nd Send to google or something and use this campaign URL on the invisible button. Let traffic go through and you will see how many bots you are receiving as the majority will click that small button.

This is one way of detecting them.

You can always have a very small button that human traffic won't be able to click - bot traffic will scrape and click. If you get clicks, workout the % of traffic clicking that invisible button and decide to cut the zone or not.

Make 2 campaigns on your tracker.
1st Setup as normal
2nd Send to google or something and use this campaign URL on the invisible button. Let traffic go through and you will see how many bots you are receiving as the majority will click that small button.

This is one way of detecting them.
Thank you! I will try it.

In a perfect world 99% of pop ads will make contact.
I block the bots, scrapers and tor, VPN and proxy users between the ad and my landing page (dead cold) 403/444 server reset.
I do this with with my server configuration and I map the IP ranges with blocking lists server side.

What I don't like is the padding (maybe) of some of these ad networks I have tested so far. They are charging 10% to 30% for the *phantom hits* they claim are sent. This might be part of this mysterious up to 50% that you are seeing IDK. They claim adblock users are not counted ...

My tracker shows 3x less impressions than Propeller Ads statistics... How this could be?

I agree with @Graybeard - but this also could be "click loss" depending on which country you are targeting. I experienced that with pop when targeting Thailand and found it out to be a common issue.

Are you hosting your own landing pages?
Are you redirecting all the traffic from your own server and counting it?
Learn to use your webserver log ;)
Your server log is *always* right.

What is that tracker actually counting? How is it counting?
For instance ?

I think you can use VPNblocker. This tool can help you detect the source of IP address. If those IP addresses from networks, hosting providers, proxies, etc. then nearly 100% they are bots that you should ignore those traffic.

Are you hosting your own landing pages?
Are you redirecting all the traffic from your own server and counting it?
Learn to use your webserver log ;)
Your server log is *always* right.

What is that tracker actually counting? How is it counting?
For instance ?
I'm just newbie in affiliate marketing and it seems many things is too advanced for me here. I'm using namecheap shared hosting to host my landers. For tracking, I'm using Mobidea tracker. When I started the difference between impressions showed by Propeller Ads statistics and Mobidea tracker was not that big (but today, like I said, difference is huge. I launched new landers).
In the beggining my average CTR was 7-18% (I think this was due to bot traffic). When I started optimising results were getting worse.
oJ10CdV.png
bDv3FKP
bDv3FKP

I'm working with mobile sweepstakes category in Australia geo and using this type of landers:
Yy6kc4b.png
iIl7LWr

Another strange thing for me that I have 1 campaign with 4 conversions of just 20 clicks.
For more information I can add brandwidth statistics.
BqEXmfJ.png
swzyoX3

Is it could be issues with shared hosting? What should I do next?

Last edited:
Yes, new landers are with new URLs. Everything is correct I think... No, I didn't increase the rate. 3 per 24h like it was when I started.

Are the new landing pages new URLs too?
Are the URLs correct (updated) with propeller ads?

Maybe the hosting is bad pop ad landing pages should be on a VPS or Dedicated Server. Did you increase the rate (hits per hour)?

Why not to check conversions ratio by sub ids? If this or that sub id doesn't convert then obviously it's a bot or something.

Also, makes sense filterting the traffic. For example, Optics are good and easy to set up. Pricey, though.

MI
Back