The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Propeller”/  Direct Affiliate

How safe is outsourcing Server Setups on Fiverr or similar?

SirOdds

Road-block ... dammit.

Trying to setup a LEMP stack for the first time. VULTR is super cool in that it has ready-made "app" - as they call it - spinning up a pre-config'ed a fully loaded Centos6 instance.

Problem is I can't install VestaCP (which I think is the standard for this config) - get an error. I tried 2 or 3 tutorials, obviously including VULTR's own. I already sent a ticket.

Also tried manually activating SFTP, but to no avail. Can't ping or reach the IP. I can only SSH into it. I'm just a geek, and can follow tutorials and troubleshoot like a champ... but I'm completely stuck.

VestaCP is cool in that is also has Fail2Ban and other firewall stuff cooked into it. But I'm spending waaay too much time on this. I was thinking of outsourcing this to OnlineJobs.ph, Upwork or Fiverr - for a pro to configure and harden... but I'm a bit put off.

How on earth can I be sure they're not going to do anything funny? Like open a backdoor, or tamper with tracking?

I mean, if someone knows how to install CPVLab of FunnelFlux or whatever, why on earth would they be selling themselves for cheap like this?

Any suggestions?

I'm not a geek and have no idea what you're talking about for most of your post. :D

But I do know that I'd be very leery of having someone from fiverr (or similar) access my server. But that's just me.

Was Vultr not able to help you?

I'm not a geek and have no idea what you're talking about for most of your post. :D

But I do know that I'd be very leery of having someone from fiverr (or similar) access my server. But that's just me.

Was Vultr not able to help you?

:p ... basically all the dirty work to get a super optimized server to host your lightning fast HTML pages and/or self hosted tracking software.

I'm sure Vultr will answer, eventually. I sent the ticket just before posting.

hmmm... just had a though. Maybe have them do it through skype and record the session to verify there is no funny business going on. Or copy all the steps into an excel sheet, nuke that server and deploy a virgin one...

You really don't need Vesta or any other panel software for a LEMP stack. Besides, I don't think those people who conduct regular business on Upwork/Fiverr/etc. are going to risk their reputation and livelihood.

What are you finding difficult from logging in as root and performing the following commands?
Code:
curl -O http://vestacp.com/pub/vst-install.sh

bash vst-install.sh --nginx yes --phpfpm yes --apache no --named yes --remi yes --vsftpd yes --proftpd no --iptables yes --fail2ban yes --quota no --exim yes --dovecot yes --spamassassin no --clamav no --mysql yes --postgresql no --hostname example.com --email email@example.com --password password

Replace hostname, email and password with your choices.

You really don't need Vesta or any other panel software for a LEMP stack. Besides, I don't think those people who conduct regular business on Upwork/Fiverr/etc. are going to risk their reputation and livelihood.

What are you finding difficult from logging in as root and performing the following commands?
Code:
curl -O http://vestacp.com/pub/vst-install.sh

bash vst-install.sh --nginx yes --phpfpm yes --apache no --named yes --remi yes --vsftpd yes --proftpd no --iptables yes --fail2ban yes --quota no --exim yes --dovecot yes --spamassassin no --clamav no --mysql yes --postgresql no --hostname example.com --email email@example.com --password password

Replace hostname, email and password with your choices.

Well, basically 'cos I'm not a system admin. I need to manage databases and DNS records right? SSL certificates and what not... Fail2Ban and IP tables? I can't even FTP or SFTP into the server, I need to set that up too.
Isn't it a a nightmare to manage dozens of files and what not from terminal?

How does one manage a LEMP stack then, CLI only?

This is the error I'm getting.

--> Finished Dependency Resolution

Error: mysql57u-libs conflicts with mysql-libs-5.5.56-1.el6.remi.x86_64

Error: mysql57u conflicts with mysql-5.5.56-1.el6.remi.x86_64

Error: mysql57u-config conflicts with mysql-libs-5.5.56-1.el6.remi.x86_64

Error: mysql57u-server conflicts with mysql-server-5.5.56-1.el6.remi.x86_64

You could try using --skip-broken to work around the problem

You could try running: rpm -Va --nofiles --nodigest

Error: yum install failed

banners
Back