The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Propeller”/  Direct Affiliate

How many words as a minimum should you have on a web page for SEO?

I would see how you could have enough good info on a page to do any good as far as conversions with under 250 to 350 words, but there is no rule as to what is the "best" amount.

I would not get crazy, like 3500 words, as this may be seen as possible spam content. the point is not to be so concerned with the numbers on content, but rather quality for the reader. Anything you lack in content, you can overcome with links, so write content to sell. Make your titles direct, but the content is for selling or pre-selling.

I thought there is no limit for the words.
But the keyword density shouldn't be too high. If it is too high, search engines will see it as keyword spam and banned your website.

Keyword density is not a factor anymore due to LSI, or latent symantic indexing. Just do a search for LSI and you can learn why density no longer has any effect.

Keyword density is not a factor anymore due to LSI, or latent symantic indexing. Just do a search for LSI and you can learn why density no longer has any effect.

It's the first time I have ever heard of LSI. On one site I read it said: "Latent semantic indexing has also been around for a very long time. One of the first papers I read on the subject dates back to 1990." Does this mean an old concept is given a new twist because I see Matt Cutts talking recently about content relevancy, which has always been around?

Then I turned to Wiki for help: "LSA can use a term-document matrix which describes the occurrences of terms in documents; it is a sparse matrix whose rows correspond to terms and whose columns correspond to documents, typically stemmed words that appear in the documents..."

Surely this is a concept of data clustering, which has always been there, hasn't it? So why would keyword density be rendered redundant? Surely, the matching of data across page a matching it up is what good SEO is about?

I'm unsure as to what what has changed and why. Thanks for the sleepless night ahead.

Actually, LSI has only been implimented for a few years in Google, the concept has been there for a while.

The reason for it's implimentation is simple, to take away the density factor so it could be calculated to max density levels by spammers. Even though onpage only accounts for about 20 % of positions, a spammer could get an edge easily with a few URLs and a couple months to find the levels that trigger the penalities and then have that 2 to 5 % edge.

Googles team killed this with relevency not based on "density".

I am sure any professional mortgage broker can write page after page of information about mortagews without using the term "mortgage", or "broker" (I could ) so now I can write naturaly for my potential visitor and still get credit for being on topic and ot have to worry about competing against hidden keywords, stuffing, and the likes.

This also means that I can aquire links for related sites based on LSI. I no longer have to make sure my keywords are in the title and or content of the page for high relevence credit for the links. This makes link building easier and more natural.

So now the maid service site gets a quality link from a cleaning product site, and it was not like this 4 years ago. You has to have links from pages with your keywords in title, content or URL.

Now for the most important feature, it gives you the ability to write for the visitor alone, therefore giving a better user experience and increases conversions because there are no density rules and you do not have have to have 5 % of the content with "your keywords" in it.

Latent semantic indexing Google - Google Search

This should help in relation to searches on the subject. I have testeed this many times since it was implimented, and it makes life a lot easier.

Sorry for the sleepless night.

Okay thanks for the link. I think I understand what it means now but "I no longer have to make sure my keywords are in the title and or content of the page for high relevence credit for the links" is chancy. Wouldn't do it myself. Can you show me an example, if the moderators allow such a url to be posted?

That is not refering to your site as far as removing the words all together, you should have them at least once in content and preferably in the title, but the density level is of non effect, it is very effective refering to the page your links are coming from. , so, let's say you have a site about fish, with fish in the title of your homepage, getting a link from a page with the word "aquatic" in the title and or content will bring you a relevent link, where in the past (before LSI) that would not be a relevent link because it did not have your keywords in the title or content.

You can now even get a relevent link in the http format (not anchored ) as long as it is in proximity of some of your keywords or LSI keywords. this is great for articles that are republished.

Here is an example: your author name is an expert in fish and other marine life and you can visit his site at http://www.yoursite.com

you would then get anchored credit for "fish" and "marine life" as the anchored, although they would be somewhat weaker than an actual anchor. but some credit is better than none, and if your url does not have your keywords in it, it is a big help, especially for the beginner in SEO.

That is not refering to your site as far as removing the words all together, you should have them at least once in content and preferably in the title, but the density level is of non effect, it is very effective refering to the page your links are coming from. , so, let's say you have a site about fish, with fish in the title of your homepage, getting a link from a page with the word "aquatic" in the title and or content will bring you a relevent link, where in the past (before LSI) that would not be a relevent link because it did not have your keywords in the title or content.

You can now even get a relevent link in the http format (not anchored ) as long as it is in proximity of some of your keywords or LSI keywords. this is great for articles that are republished.

Here is an example: your author name is an expert in fish and other marine life and you can visit his site at http://www.yoursite.com

you would then get anchored credit for "fish" and "marine life" as the anchored, although they would be somewhat weaker than an actual anchor. but some credit is better than none, and if your url does not have your keywords in it, it is a big help, especially for the beginner in SEO.

Okay, i understand this now. For my own site I use web design bangkok for the title (and do not dilute this), in the H1 tag, alt tag and the copy. Where I can, all inbounds use the same term. I do this for all my clients and LSI won't change that. I do, however, now understand that maybe SEO could be a related word and some links have that as the anchor.

Anyway, thanks for the tutorial. It's good to know what LSI is now. Cheers.

I found that it is best to write for your audience, and explore the subject fully. Please note the some articles in wikipedia are very long, still they rank first in google. Just do your best.

it depends on your design. but in ur content you shud be direct to your audience. don't used very complicated words that might keep ur audience wonder.

bluehatseo

I found that it is best to write for your audience, and explore the subject fully. Please note the some articles in wikipedia are very long, still they rank first in google. Just do your best.

Mainly due to domain authority and internal linking structure.

There's a pretty good article on bluehatseo about beating wikipedia in the SERPS basically by systematically removing the internal links on that site in combination with your own site's seo.

"I no longer have to make sure my keywords are in the title and or content of the page for high relevence credit for the links. This makes link building easier and more natural."

I have always heard to put the keywords in the title to get high relevance credit. Is this really no longer the case? :eek:

blogger, I think you might want to re-read the whole post instead of taking one small part out of context.

MI
Back