The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Propeller”/  Direct Affiliate

help wanted on selecting a web host please.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello Temi,
I called strato-hosting to ask where their servers were, they are in Germany, however they do offer phone support via a freephone number and have offices in the UK.
The chap I spoke to seemed quite knowledgeable and was very helpful.
They seem able to offer most of what I want at reasonable cost,currently all hosting plans are on offer for £1 for the 1st year, subject to taking a 2 year contract with the 2nd year being the normal price, so perhaps the compromise for me to make is to have my host in Germany.
Would hosting in Germany make a considerable difference in the download speed for UK based viewers?
Thanks.

Hosting in Germany will not make noticable difference to your site as long as its just a regular website that does not require streaming media and other demanding application.
I have a site hosted by strato as well and another one hosted by Servage (another German hosting company) there is no noticable difference in the load time of the site when compared with sites hosted in UK.

You may want to consider 1 and 1, this site was previously hosted with Heart Internet, the server kept crashing all the time so I move to 1 and 1, it has been relatively stable since the move to 1 and 1.
The are originally a German company but if you access their site via the .co.uk version your site will be hosted in their UK data centre with on UK IP address.

I am with 1 and 1 and have had a few problems.

I have two servers with them, one is managed dedicated, this crashes from time to time and you have to call them to fix it. Once it took them 4 hours :confused:

My .org domain from my site is also with 1 and 1 and is a dedicated ( not managed) server, today it was running slow and so I rebooted it and it is now offline and has been for two hours. They are working on it apparently.

I leased the servers through 1and1 .co.uk but my servers and ip addresses are German.

Guess what, I am looking for a new host! at least for the .org domain for now.

Hosting companies are amazing :( I wonder whether being on virtual server help make my hosting with them more stable. Also, my own 1 and 1 IP address is UK based.

I think their older UK based customers were hosting on German IP address before the started hosting UK customers on UK IP address.

Hi Temi,
I have signed up with servage today, they accept debit card payment.
Thank you all for your input.

Hi Temi,
I have signed up with servage today, they accept debit card payment.
Thank you all for your input.
f

Pleased you finally found a host that suits you. Servage are very flexible with payment methords, they even accept Moneybooker and PayPal.

Good luck, don't forget to announce your site when it goes live.

That will probably be a while.
I actually gave servage the wrong spelling for the domain, hard to believe I know, so I need to sort that out first.
Once that's sorted I will need to build the site. I have bought "xsitepro" to do this, as hopefully it will enable me to build my site reasonably easily and quickly, as I'm a novice at this sort of thing.
Quite looking forward to the challenge though.
Any one used this software? If so, any tips would be appreciated.

Hi temi and deluxdon, the software was about £100 ($197).
I found it with a google search, it looked easier to use than most, so I thought I would try it, the developers offer a no quibble refund during the first 12 months.
I have not had the time to actually use it yet, but will let you know what I think of it when I do.
The main reason for buying it was that I have tried the site building software that comes with a fashosts hosting account, but find it hard to make anything that looks very appealing and offers very little in terms of site optimization.

Hi temi and deluxdon, the software was about £100 ($197).
I found it with a google search, it looked easier to use than most, so I thought I would try it, the developers offer a no quibble refund during the first 12 months.
I have not had the time to actually use it yet, but will let you know what I think of it when I do.
The main reason for buying it was that I have tried the site building software that comes with a fashosts hosting account, but find it hard to make anything that looks very appealing and offers very little in terms of site optimization.

If you don't have enough time then you have to hire someone for your site design IMO. No need to spent $197 for that software.

DON.

Personally I use Hostgator. I have a reseller account with over 20 domains on it for $25/month. Worth a look.

You posted this message before, it was moved because it was posted to the wrong thread.

Please not that you could be banned in you keep doing this, please refrain from posting to the wrong thread.
Thanks

Its okay, I too should have left a note to let you know it was moved, sorry I did not do that the first time :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
MI
Back