The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Propeller”/  Direct Affiliate

Google Analytics banned in the EU

Graybeard

GDPR

Italy is the third country to ban Google Analytics. This was concluded by Garante (the Italian Data Protection Authority) after a complex investigation in coordination with other European privacy authorities.

It reached the same conclusion as the DSB (Austrian Data Protection Authority), which was the first to rule the use of Google Analytics illegal. This has been the starting point for a chain reaction that led the French and now Italians to follow, and we’ll see more in the coming months.

The problem here is the transfer of personal data to the United States. Google is a U.S. company that qualifies as an “electronic communication service provider.” This means that Google is by law obliged to disclose data to U.S. intelligence services if requested.

The main reason for introducing the GDPR law in 2018 is to safeguard the privacy of E.U. citizens. The fact that Google transfers data to the U.S. and is obliged to hand it over upon request means the E.U. can no longer guarantee its citizens’ privacy.

My reason for having stopped using google-analytics is because it's blocked by 38% of my users anyway. My own click logs proved that ...

the cloud version stores the data in the EU --safe alternative

level 2
amekxone
· 20 hr. ago

It’s not analytics that’s the problem, but Google Analytics specifically.
The company where I work uses a self hosted, GDPR compliant, instance of Matomo for analytics.

banners
Back