The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Propeller”/  Direct Affiliate

Forums backlinks not showing

J

jmeager

I have been working hard to comment in relevant forums as one part of my SEO strategy. However, these comments are not showing up as backlinks when I search using link:mywebsite.

My problem is that they are sites where some of our competitors have comments that are beign discovered by Google.

Is it just a waiting game until it is indexed? Or is it something else?

Please check if they are nofollow or dofollow forums. If they are nofollow then they will not show as a backlinks.

To check it just check the source code of the forum and find (rel="nofollow").

I have checked that thanks, I have the NoDoFollow script installed for Firefox.

There are lots of smart stuff forums owners use to thwart backlink hunters while rewarding people who make good contribution for example if you post is below certain number of words (I cannot remember exactly how many) nofollow will be added to your signature automatically and if you post is a reall genuine full post (over x amount of words) you will get the full value of your post.

What people should remeber is that forums were set up for discussion, part of the benefits of participating in a forum could be backlinks, I am not sure one should use a forum just to get baclinks.

Great, thanks for the advice. I am really trying hard to only use forums that are within my specific subject area, and are highly relvant to the site I am linking to. As you said, the primary thing is communication and shared experience.

I have been back to the forums in which I have contributed and have found that (using the firefox tool) dofollow is active on my signature, so I really can't explain what's going on.

If you look at external links to your site in Google webmaster tools you may find you are linked in after all. Not very many links appear for link:domain. It only shows very strong links.

Thanks a lot for the advice, another interestign point. I'll have a look through.

How do you define a 'strong' link? One with a high PR, good Alexa traffic and suitably relevant?

Definition of strong links vary... here are some indications :

- Link from say bbc.co.uk is a VERY strong link even if the links is from a PR1 or even PR0 page when compared with say link from HeyDJ
- Link from HeyDJ is a strong link when compared with link from a site that was started yesterday.
- Link from homepage of any website is a stonger link than links from about 2 folder deep.
- Link at the top of page is a stonger link that link from the bottom of a page

And it goes on and one like that.

Thanks a lot for the advice, another interestign point. I'll have a look through.

How do you define a 'strong' link? One with a high PR, good Alexa traffic and suitably relevant?

Thanks a lot (again) Temi, that's really helped me to understand what I need to be doing for SEO. I suppose I can only dream of getting a link back from the BBC though!

I suppose my only question would be: in the case of forums does the age of the post matter, or does it work in an 'inverse' way i.e. are newer posts in forums considered more important as they are current discussion?

Don't worry about backlinks. They will certainly appear. One thing I wanted to tell you is that: If you want your link to be shown in backlinks, then instead of using anchor tag, use direct website name.

ex: forums.ukwebmasterworld.com not example

And for getting backlinks of your site:
use: site: forums.ukwebmasterworld.com
Not: site:forums.ukwebmasterworld.com

I have been working hard to comment in relevant forums as one part of my SEO strategy. However, these comments are not showing up as backlinks when I search using link:mywebsite.

That link operator will just provide a sampling of links to any site.

To see a much larger sampling of links to any site. You must do this:

1. Sign into Google Webmaster Tool with your Google Account.
  2. Click the URL for the site you want.
  3. Click Links, and then click the page you want.
https://google.com/support/webmasters/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=55281
Note: While the External links page provides a larger sampling of links to your site, not all links to your site may be listed. This is normal.

Don't worry about backlinks. They will certainly appear. One thing I wanted to tell you is that: If you want your link to be shown in backlinks, then instead of using anchor tag, use direct website name.

But if you do that you lose all the benefits the anchor text keyphrase targeting gives you.

ex: forums.ukwebmasterworld.com not example

And for getting backlinks of your site:
use: site: forums.ukwebmasterworld.com
Not: site:forums.ukwebmasterworld.com

Interesting! Thanks for the tip.

banners
Back