The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Propeller”/  Direct Affiliate

Facebook or Myspace?

akagorilla

affiliate
I've found dozens of affiliate friends on Myspace and yesterday I bit the bullet and signed up for Facebook. I used the friend directory to check my gmail account and found an astounding number of people with listings.

Does Myspace and Facebook really help us network in the affiliate industry?

Great question Greg!

Funny but I never did get into MySpace and just finally joined Facebook a couple weeks ago. I think FB will be where I spend a little time.

It's tough to keep up with all the social networks, blogs and forums out there and still have time to work. :p

Here's a little summary of my social networking activities and preferences since you opened the door.

Bumpzee - Scott has done a great job with this community. I go there several times a day to scan blogs. LOVE the community although it's not very active for discussions, more for just keeping up with industry news.

New UK affiliate social network - affiliates4u - Affiliate Marketing Community. Used to be just a forum, but a very active vibrant one. Tried to get over there often.
Now that it's a full blown social network I want to get even more involved, just haven't had the time.

Mybloglog - really loved this and worked it for awhile. Here's my community.
5 Star Affiliate Programs Blog - MyBlogLog
216 friends and OOPS 86 admirers waiting for approval. See that's the hard part. Keeping up with all of the activity at each one.

StumbleUpon - really wanted to hit this one hard and get active just to drive traffic. Never had the time. So now I just BUY traffic there. Worth it for 5 cents a visitor!

Facebook - even though I'm new there, I like it and hope to spend more time there. I'm in Shawn's affiliate marketing group. Haven't had time to look around to find others.

Blog Catalog and Spiceypage - can't keep up with those 2. Keep getting friend invites from people that I don't know that don't really seem to be in the biz - so have had to let those 2 slide.

Myspace - think I've only been there 3 times. Once to Shawns and twice to Stephens Top Affiliate page. It just never grabbed me. Guess I'm too old! :eek:

Linkedin - one of the 1st big ones, but I never got into it and actually get really frustrated with it because I just got so many invites that it started to be an annoyance. Now I just ignore them all. Terrible I know. STOP SENDING ME LINKEDIN INVITES! :cool: Wish I would have accepted them all now. Would have tons of friends. But just never really liked Linkedin much.

IF I HAD an ASSISTANT which I'm always thinking about adding, I would have her spend lots of time just approving friend requests at all the networks because I dont have time to keep up with them all.

So what about everyone else? Which ones do you like and where do you hang out?

I've been on MySpace for a while, and have found it pretty useful for making contacts. Plus it's fun to personalize your site and add a little flavor:p

As for LinkedIn I've just joined and am still getting the hang of it, same with Affiliates4U. Bumpzee is one that I've been meaning to have a look at...

I totally agree with Linda's comment about the time issue - there's a lot to get from these networks, however to make the most of them you really need to invest the time. :rolleyes:

If used correctly Myspace or Facebook can be a great tool. On Myspace the first thing you should do is make a group. Then do a search for keywords, like affiliate marketing, etc. Add people as friends who come up in those searches add them to your friends list. Start networking with other individuals.

I most recently did a search for online marketers in my city. I contacted each and now we meet up weekly for a mastermind group, in order to help each other build our success online.

Definitely Facebook. Seems to be a bit more productive for finding decent discussions on affiliate marketing. I post in the affiliate related groups every now and then and even got a couple of members to my forum thanks to my profile. MySpace just seems too saturated with spam and junk... but I haven't done much with them.

As an affiliate manager, I did create a Myspace page for Thompson Cigar and Cafe Belmondo last year. We used our own internal links so there weren't any network costs and we made a few hundred dollars in cigar and coffee sales for a few months.

Myspace users click alot and don't convert well but they are clueless to affiliate links, so it works well for sales.

"Myspace users click alot and don't convert well but they are clueless to affiliate links, so it works well for sales."

Just want to caution any n00bs that may read this, not to take that wrong. Greg was talking about using their own company links for sales.

Never post affiliate links on MySpace. MySpace was on a spree suing some of the CPA networks - so now many networks prohibit using affiliate links on Myspace and can withhold your checks for breach of TOS.

count me as a noob. I didn't know that.

But yes, I was talking about internal links.

I guess i should check to see if Primary Ads was ever threatened by Myspace.

Here's an older blog a wrote about it.
Not sure if anything happened after that.
<a href="http://affiliate-blogs.5staraffiliateprograms.com/2007/01/23/myspace-lawsuit-ad-affiliate-networks/">Myspace 500 Million Lawsuit Against 20 Ad and Affiliate Networks</a>

Oh and here's another.
<a href="http://affiliate-blogs.5staraffiliateprograms.com/2006/11/01/affiliates-marketing-myspace/">Warning Networks Terminating MySpace Affiliate Marketers</a>

I think both are pretty cool and both can definitely add value.

MySpace provides a little more flexibility in terms of editing your site to fit your business, but with facebook's new apps feature you might be able to find or create a pretty cool marketing tool that you can use for your biz.

Also check out squidoo...

Boy, I've barely had time to dabble in any of these, but the other day I did try Facebook. I'm not quite sure what to do and haven't a clue how to get "friends", but it seems clean and easy to navigate...

OK, I REALLY hate to admit this - I have a feeling though that I'm not alone in this.

I still don't get why everyone is so excited about Facebook and I don't know why anyone would hang there much. At least in the Affiliate Marketing groups I'm in - and I think I'm in all of them - not much is going on.

I feel like I'm missing something because people in the biz talk about how incredible it is. Brian from Sharesale just wrote an article about how the Internet as we know it would largely go away and everyone would use FB as the new Internet.

I check the FB AM forums and there are usually no new posts other than spam. I check peoples writing on the wall which isnt too interesting or interactive. I get lots of friend requests from people BIG in the industry and it's sort of fun to accept them at 1st, then it just becomes a time drain.

But where is all the interaction and community and connection?
Am I missing some secret room or something?
Am I dense or do you feel the same?

I think both provide great avenues for affiliates. Myspace is a favorite of mines. I like using the "whos online now" feature and contacting some new adds and establishing great networking opportunities right off the bat. Their classified section has always helped in finding specific customers. Cant hate the free advertising.

Facebook has also been very helpful. Their apps make it easy to customize a site. The main reason I stick with it is because I keep in mind peoples preferences. Some like facebook because it seems more adult and others like myspace because their are more ways to customize the page looks.

One key point also is I just came back from a month and half stay in India and according to their market, all everyone out their talked about was what my Facebook email adress was to add me, myspace wasnt even mentioned. Keep the market open to all, I want to contact as many people as I can!

I am much more used to myspace, than I am facebook.

Facebook I find a little bit difficult, while Myspace I find easier.

But, perceptions, perceptions. :)

banners
Back