The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Propeller”/  Direct Affiliate

Exact and Partial Match Anchor Text vs Google Rankings

D

djbaxter

STUDY: The Correlation Of Exact Match Anchor Text Links With Rankings Across 16,000 Keywords
by Tim Soulo, ahrefs.com
14 Jan 2016

First of all, we wanted to find out if there was any correlation between the percentage of exact-match anchor text links and partial-match anchor-text links in a page’s backlink profile and it’s ability to rank higher.

anchor-text-correlation-1.jpg

From this graph it’s clear that pages that rank higher tend to have a bigger percentage of exact-match anchor text links in their backlink profile.

anchor-text-correlation3.jpg

The takeaway is clear – anchor text links from a variety of different domains correlate with higher rankings in Google.

Read more...

I have a feeling that this trend will tone down more and more over time as Googles machine learning algorithm gathers more data.

I am already seeing Google use more of single words and using them as a group, which is both fantastic and exciting.

An example anchor text profile would be as follows.

A page on Canon cameras (I know nothing about cameras :))

site name
Canon
URL link
AE-1
still a popular camera
AE-2
now in digital

I've seen profiles similar to this rank for many different phrases with such a simple profile. Some example phrases they would or might show up for could be...

Canon AE-1
The popular Canon Digital camera
AE-1 Digital by Canon
Is the Canon AE-# still popular
Do they make a canon ae-1 in digital

The list could possibly go on and on and on. I never thought they would get to this level but ran across something amazing about a year and a half ago that i will share right here, right now!

If you take the title of a page that links to the target page and has branding or URL links to the target page, the page linked to will increase in rankings for the exact match of the title of the linking page after about 45 days.

I have actually ranked pages with nothing but using branding and URL links, using Title pass-through (My term).

Make sure the pages that link to you have incredible relevance and you will be rewarded for your efforts.

Here is a live example, and feel free to check any other top ranking pages and research titles and watch the titles be used as an anchor text passthrough.

Target URL: http://www.pipandebby.com/pip-ebby/2013/8/12/hawaiian-ham-and-cheese-sandwiches-tailgate-sandwiches.html

TITLE: Hawaiian Ham and Cheese Sandwiches (Tailgate Sandwiches)

Below are 3 pages that link to our target page with branding links, and yet the exact titles of the linking pages are passing through and helping the target URL rank for the exact title of the linking pages.

Linking page 1: Simple Hawaiian Ham and Cheese Sandwiches - Recipe Simple

Title: Simple Hawaiian Ham and Cheese Sandwiches

If you search this title, you will see the target site ranking first page. You will see the same with the other two examples below.

Title: Hawaiian Ham and Cheese Sandwiches
Hawaiian Ham and Cheese SandwichesWhat2Cook

Title: Ham and gooey cheese sandwiched between Hawaiian rolls

Beef Recipes Pinterest | Ham and gooey cheese sandwiched between

People have always passively stated to have your keywords in the titles of pages that link to you, and now you know why.

I have researched this thousands of times and have tested it over 2 dozen times.

I know, some will say, ah... but there's anchor text for these. Well, yes, and no. As stated earlier, I have ranked a couple of dozen pages with nothing but URL and brand links only, using title pass-through only.

Just go pick some search terms and see for yourself.

Hope this helps.

banners
Back