“AdsEmpire”/  Direct Affiliate

Dual Boot Systems

espmartin

affiliate
I am going to duel boot my computer with Windows XP and Linux
Kubuntu. I just recently (like only last week) reformatted my
hard drive, and installed XP again.

How many of you duel boot your systems?

I dont like the idea of dual boot, you have to turn it off then turn it on again - so complex! I'd juist install linux and run wine :D

I did for a while, with a view to switching to Linux. However, when my wireless card didn't work with ubuntu, I switched back :(

eugh i know the feeling. hopefully it'll be fixed soon will dell etc driving demand for linux drivers :D

I did for a while, with a view to switching to Linux. However, when my wireless card didn't work with ubuntu, I switched back :(

its a virtual machine - similar to parallels on mac Wine HQ but you dont have to istall windows to run windows programs. Its hard to explain lol.

Kubuntu or Ubuntu? I also dont like the idea two OS in one system. Its slows down your pc.

Your computer will only slow down if you are using both OSes at the same time in VMWare or something similar. Wine is good for some things but for most of your "XP needs" you may find it hard to get it working correctly.

I dual boot, just planning out the hard drives correctly when you are doing your XP install can be very helpful later. Remember that Ubuntu and XP cannot write into eachother hard drives natively, and can cause some errors even with the right packages in Ubuntu. I would recommend 3 drives or 3 partitions. XP (ntfs), Ubuntu (ext2), and then a "shared" drive between your OS'es (Fat32). Both XP and Ubuntu can handle Fat32 easliy and you do not run the risk of killing your XP install by never touching yoru NTFS drive.

Wish I could get Ubuntu or linux running on my laptop, have a wireless card from hell! Maybe some day...... (maybe some day I will just get a new laptop with a compatible wireless card)

Bryan
TVGHosting.com

MI
Back