The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Propeller”/  Direct Affiliate

domain name selection

GriD

What is the importance of the domain name for those running offers with paid traffic to landing pages?
Would you use register a general page (ie greatgadgets.ext / healthysupplements.ext / ...) that you can re-use for future offers or do you just register a new domain with each offer you promote?

For those here running a blog, what are the criteria used to select a domain name?
Does your domain give a hint towards the topic? ie diytools.ext / prepperstalk.ext / ...
And what is the importance of the domain extension? (.com / . country / .info / .health / .loans / ...)

Also would you buy an old expired domain? What are your criteria when researching those?

• for branding?
  • for SEO?
  • for CPA+network ads?
I think the ideology for each would be very different.
Easy to remember and type or voice search would be the best general answer ...

I think the ideology for each would be very different.
Easy to remember and type or voice search would be the best general answer ...
Thanks @Graybeard
I started the topic for general info for all newbies exploit but you are right, it's so broad so better target it for my own current intention which is CPA+ads...
I would not expect any searches to hit the landing page(s)
But still I guess a nice sounding domain name will add to the credibility for the targeted audience...
Would a very specific one work best or a more general one (that could be reused for other offers in the same niche)?
Ad my question about expired domains remains, I know domains that have been abused are domains to avoid. How does this apply for CPA+ads?
Do ad / affiliate networks blacklist domains? (in which case I should coordinate with them)

I have short list of criteria for picking domains
  1. Use Country Code Top-Level Domain (ccTLD) for target country (examples --> .ca for Canada, .com for US)
  2. Contains root keyword target phrase (examples --> 'army boots' = armyboots.ca, 'gangster suits' = gangstersuits.com)
  3. It has to be obvious what the site is about from domain, clever brands are great for big budgets
  4. Short as possible but not abbreviations (examples --> gangstersuits.com is ok, but I wouldn't use gsuits.com)
  5. It has to be available, not a premium domain, because you can easily buy good .COM domains for $5

If you will run many offers and multiple niches I would go with a short generic sounding name and maybe use a wildcard DNS. <This is -10 SEO however

*.domain.com is a wild card
this is what is used set wild card domain at DuckDuckGo
varies some
You can just make up the name you want without any configuration of the server directives.
offer1.domain.com, offer2.domain.com, offer3 ... ad infinitum ...

*.domain.com is the cookie name if you want to track all of the subs
domain=offer1.domain.com id only track the wildcard
see Set-Cookie - HTTP | MDN

What is the importance of the domain name for those running offers with paid traffic to landing pages?
Don't know, PPC is alien species

Would you use register a general page (ie greatgadgets.ext / healthysupplements.ext / ...) that you can re-use for future offers or do you just register a new domain with each offer you promote?
Not that far into affiliate marketing yet
I buy new domain when there's enough traffic to support a new site

For those here running a blog, what are the criteria used to select a domain name?
I use domain.ext/blog for blog, not new domain

Does your domain give a hint towards the topic? ie diytools.ext / prepperstalk.ext / ...
Of course, it's just efficient sign posting

And what is the importance of the domain extension? (.com / . country / .info / .health / .loans / ...)
Tells search engine & customer which country your site belongs in
Very important for SEO, no so important for PPC
Also would you buy an old expired domain? What are your criteria when researching those?
Yes, for existing products
If your fast when new trends emerge you can be 1st to register
But it doesn't matter either way
Domain is just another tool

the work-around for the SEO issues are
Server rewrites
//abc.example.com/1/ is the address in the user's browser that he sees
the actual page served (internally and unseen by the search engines) is //example.com/1/123456.php?{QUERY_STRING}

banners
Back