The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Adavice”/  “RollerAds”/

Domain Name Expiring...

tommymaczoidberg

affiliate
One of my domains is expiring in a few weeks and I'd like to register it with another registrar in order to get out from under GoDaddy. Does anyone have any tips on how to do this? Obviously, I can't let it expire on GoDaddy and then purchase it on another registrar, right?

Hosting and domain registration are two different things. Right now Godaddy is your registrar and Godaddy is also your hosting provider. You can open an account with another registrar and then simply transfer the domain name to yourself. Make sure you have all of web content ready to go on the new host and when your DNS changes take effect the site should be live on the new registrar.

Warning: you mentioned only having a few weeks left before it expires at Godaddy? You should know that if it's not set to auto renew then Google may apply an $85 penalty on the next registration period if you don't pay for it more than a MONTH before it expires. Sites within 4 weeks of expiration are subject to the $85 fee if you renew.

Yeah, you need to see just how long is left on it. If it's within 30 days, I would recommend renewing for a year with GoDaddy and then transferring to whatever registrar you want from there.

Don't wait for it to expire and then try to renew from another place. It could take months before GoDaddy would release the name and they'll try to sell it to someone else first (or make you pay more through the other registrar to release it sooner.)

Wait a minute, did you mean GoDaddy would apply an $85 penalty? I've never heard of Google charging any sort of penalties for domain renewals.

I'm about to do the same thing, because I want to leave register.com, since I only signed up for a $1 domain a year ago. I'm going to transfer my domain to namecheap, and I'm pretty sure the only fee I'll have to pay is like a $8-$9 transfer free.

I hope register.com doesn't have a penalty like godaddy(mentioned above), that's rough.

I too have a domain about to expire with GoDaddy. I'll have to check the status and then transfer it to another registrar. I haven't made any money from the site, so I want to change and see if there is a difference.

I hope it won't be too difficult, as I'm definitely not willing to pay a $85 fine for a site that doesn't make any profit for me.

I too have a domain about to expire with GoDaddy. I'll have to check the status and then transfer it to another registrar. I haven't made any money from the site, so I want to change and see if there is a difference.

I hope it won't be too difficult, as I'm definitely not willing to pay a $85 fine for a site that doesn't make any profit for me.

How does having a certain domain registrar over another affect your domain making a profit?

You need to transfer your domain to another domain registrar from Go Daddy. In that case Go Daddy should cooperate with you. If your domain has expired then I am sure Go Daddy will charge you for one year renewal charge (approx $10). Then only you can ask them the necessary operations to be done to change your domain's registrar. For more info yo may contact me at "alo1269@rediffmail.com".

Hosting and domain registration are two different things. Right now Godaddy is your registrar and Godaddy is also your hosting provider. You can open an account with another registrar and then simply transfer the domain name to yourself. Make sure you have all of web content ready to go on the new host and when your DNS changes take effect the site should be live on the new registrar..

That good information, because this used to confuse me so much at first. I used to think I had to host on the same site of my domain. Thankfully someone was nice enough to explain things to me as you did above. I still host all of my domains on 1and1.com and have my website and forums on a different/faster host. Just point your DNS to the correct host.

Maybe go ahead and renew then look at a new moving later, or redirecting your DNS amd keep your domain on GoDaddy, although I know there are cheaper places.

Yeah, you need to see just how long is left on it. If it's within 30 days, I would recommend renewing for a year with GoDaddy and then transferring to whatever registrar you want from there.

Don't wait for it to expire and then try to renew from another place. It could take months before GoDaddy would release the name and they'll try to sell it to someone else first (or make you pay more through the other registrar to release it sooner.)
I think that is the only best solution. I had mine last year which had only twenty days to expire and since it was on June I didn't bother much. I renewed it for a year. Now even I don't feel the hunger of transferring it as I had last year I just feel satisfied with GoDaddy.

If the domain name is not renewed, redeemed, or purchased through an auction, it is returned to its registry. The registry determines when the domain name is released again for registration. Once it's released, you can register the domain name.

MI
Back