The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“AdsEmpire”/  Direct Affiliate

Does your site have a disclaimer?

Umm,
I think its a good idea to have it, I have it on my business websites not on my personal websites.

:roll:

Hmm....,
Am I slow or what, I find it ridiculous that Webmasters are pushing beginers like me to use a "one-size fit-all" applications. I think that
the time you will use to modify this disclaimer will be more frustrating
that just writing a simple "Don't quote me, am not liable for my site, you agree to read it, and believe it and use it and ... and.... at you own risk" :shock:
What is a use of saying "You agree to indemnify, defend and hold harmless..." When all I want is for someone to know I can be online and not selling anything?
Lanre

Lanre,

No one is pushing anything on you.

"Don't quote me, am not liable for my site, you agree to read it, and believe it and use it and ... and.... at you own risk"

In my humble opinion, this simply wouldn't stand up in court, and would look extremely unprofessional.

"am not liable for my site"

Yes, yes you are liable for your site, in many cases.

My 2 Cents.

Paul

Paul,

Living with a law student I fully agree. I use a small privacy policy that I think works. She looked it over and says it would cover any attacks but she has not yet studied contract law. What do you think of what I am using? I use this one or similar for all of my sites.

http://www.backpackearth.com/privacy.html

Is it a good idea to download a disclaimer from other similar websites and change a little bit based on my own situation?

insidercow.com said:
Is it a good idea to download a disclaimer from other similar websites and change a little bit based on my own situation?
Finally someone has hit the home run :)

"Is it a good idea to download a disclaimer from other similar websites and change a little bit based on my own situation?"

I believe this is called copywrite infringement. :nono:

You might contact the webmaster and ask and most likely they'll be more than happy to give you permission. Make a copy of that, "Sure, go ahead, dude" e-mail and store it in a VERY safe place.

Lanre,

How is this a, "Home Run"?

Paul

Paul,
Have you tried to use http://www.easyriver.com/free_disclaimer.htm
for more than one site? The only modification from it is only the site's
name.
As long as you take your time to read disclaimers and avoid the traps
usually set therein you are cool. I think browsing the web and getting ideas from others
isn't a crime. I remember you gave me similar advice before. By all means, It is proper to seek permission if you are going to adapt someone else's work to suit yours.
Lanre

Ok, now I'm royally confused. :?

Did you mistake insidercow's quote as a, "Statement" or a, "Question".

I mean, I wouldn't be confused if you though it was a statement, rather than a question.

Generally, when a sentence starts with the word, "Is", I'm assuming it's a question.

"Is it a good idea to download a disclaimer from other similar websites and change a little bit based on my own situation?"

Perhaps you took it to say, "It is a good idea to download a disclaimer from other similar websites and change a little bit based on my own situation?"

"Have you tried to use http://www.easyriver.com/free_disclaimer.htm
for more than one site?"

Yes, and BTW, that's a TOOL, not a site. Using this, "Tool" for more than one site, would not be considered copyright infringement, IMHO.

Now, let's say one went to Yahoo!, saw their disclaimer, copied and pasted it to a word document, then simply omitted the entire Yahoo! reference and placed their company's there instead, IMHO, this would be in violation of copyright laws. :(

"I think browsing the web and getting ideas from others
isn't a crime"

Oh, h*ll yeah, I agree 100% there.

For instance, I see this dude across the street, shaving his grass with this thing I come to find out is a, 'Lawnmower". It's really cool, as after he's finished, his lawn looks all nice and clean. I check it out. I think to myself :idea:, "What a POS. I could make a much better Lawnmower than this." So then I make a new line of Lawnmowers, called the, "PaulMower :D ". IMHO, I'm nowhere near infringing upon that LawnMower's copyright.

Ok, I'll flip the coin...

Let's say I see the dude across the street mowing his lawn, with this really cool Lawnmower. It seems to make the grass look really nice. I check it out. Ahhh.... no wonder this Lawnmower is so cool, as it has that, "Patented", "Super Duper LawnMover Blade" technology.'

One night, when the dude across the street falls asleep, I sneak into his shed, tear his Lawnmower apart screw by screw, figure out how the, "Patented" technology works, then put the Lawnmower back together before the dude wakes up. With my research on the technology, I find I can duplicate it to the tee. :D I do duplicate it, yet call/market it as the, "SuperDEDuper PaulMower" using my own, "Secret" technology.

In this scenario, I'm a thief, IMHO. But instead of going to jail, sleeping next to, "Bubba" for the next 5 years, I simply get slapped with a multimillion-dollar lawsuit, which I don't stand a chance of defending myself. Oh, and my business goes under also.
:cry:

So, in closing lol, yes, it's fine to check out other's ideas and improve upon them, learn from them, etc. But in no way should one, "Duplicate" any of the idea. For that idea is the person's/company's property. It's their, "Lawnmower" so to say :wink:

Whew...I hope this clears things up a bit, in my mind at least lol.

Paul

banners
Back