The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Adavice”/  “1Win

Does PR Matter?

temi

affiliate
Now that PR seem to be a quarterly affair, I wonder what other webmaster thinks, is it a good thing or a bad thing ? Or whether PR even matter at all this days.

It shouldn't matter but it does! If a website has a PR of 0 then it's tagged as a bad site or a site that hasn't enough decent content. Many people wont want to own a site with a low PR (unless it's new of course) but if you try and sell a website with a PR3 or below you may find it difficult.

I really dislike the PR system but it's just one of those things...

You are quite righ Seb,
Some people wont even exchange links with you if your site doees not have a PR. But the good thing about PR is that is sort of give some indications of the quality of a site

Also when selling advertising its great to be able to say, We have 1500+ uniques a day and a Pr of 8, Its a extra selling point and for link exchanging ye :D

i could really care either way. there are a lot better ways to check a sites profibility and thats to look at your bank account.

Gentlemen,

When we think of a business we should thing of how a "lay man" will find that business. Currently many people just 'google' once they are online trusting the almighty Google to do the search and provide an answer.
If you are in a selling trade and not just for pleasure or ego, then PR matters we all know that it isn't as it should but they don't.

I have seen what a good PR can do where customers are concerned and the result of falling out favour with Google.

PR sucks if you don't have it and is great if you do. It really is irritating whenever you launch a new site which obviously has a 0PR and have difficulty finding link partners simply because your PR is low.

There is too much emphasis on PR with far, far too many webmasters falling into the 'PR leakage' nonsense and trying to 'hoard PR' by not linking out or wrapping outgoing links in javascript, disallowing spiders via the robots.txt and trying to use the recently introduced <nofollow> tag.

If PR 'leaked', then dmoz would have a 0PR.

What MCFOX said, with one expection: I have sites with PR's anywhere from PR2 to PR6 and I still don't give a flying *&*&* about PR. I care about my traffic and whether they BUY/SIGN UP FOR CHIT or not.

Unfortunately, PR matters to a lot of people (more than any other indicators). Since web is all about the mass, what the mass think is important is what matters.

Unfortunately, PR matters to a lot of people (more than any other indicators). Since web is all about the mass, what the mass think is important is what matters.
True. Which is why I make a point to get PR for my sites as soon as I can (the one in my sig link is a new one = PR0). I have sites at PR6 / PR7 but to be honest, I don't give a frig about PR either. It's the bottom line I am most interested in.

mcfox
You have a very good site with some excelent content. I wish you every success which I am sure will come as incoming links grow and some PR is gained.

Good Luck.

Nice stroke from a PR/SOE worshiper/In biz as a SEO.

Take it in stride, and read past posts.

The Google, "Patent" should tell the ones who seek the obvious, obvious information they knew (And the SEOs knew - Sorry - Gravy train is over, girls) to begin with. It's not rocket science, as the <cough> experts were telling the flock of sheep, all along.

JMHO

smeagain said:
You have a very good site with some excelent content. I wish you every success which I am sure will come as incoming links grow and some PR is gained.
Thanks. :)
I'm not worried about PR for that site. One well-placed link on one of the high PR sites I run would sort that out with the next PR update but really, I don't give a stuff so I'm not gonna bother.

The only reason PR enters my thinking when it comes to websites is for the PR-worshippers who want to see PR before they will link. This mainly matters for commercial sites and what is important are the inbound links, not the PR. But as I say, there are a lot of webmasters who will not link to a site which does not have any PR, so it's a bit of a catch-22.

Paul_KY said:
(And the SEOs knew - Sorry - Gravy train is over, girls) to begin with. It's not rocket science, as the <cough> experts were telling the flock of sheep, all along.
There's a lot of misinformation out there. Wading through it all is the only difficult part, especially when the odd 'expert' throws out some deliberately and it gets accepted and espoused as 'fact'. Rocket science it most definitely is not.

I'm speaking of the SEO community's silence in general. Still, even with the patent information readily available, SEOs are collecting thousands and thousands from those who do not wish to invest 2-3 hours of their own time. So hey, I guess you can't really blame the SEO firms. Perhaps I was way too harsh.

I actually link to anyone regardless of PR, so long as they fit somewhere into my sites content or overall theme. I'm not really sure if it helps or hurts me in the long run but I do remember what it feels like to have PR 0 and it sucked. Mind you I'm only at PR 4 now so I'm hardly a guru either.

Duke said:
I actually link to anyone regardless of PR, so long as they fit somewhere into my sites content or overall theme. I'm not really sure if it helps or hurts me in the long run but I do remember what it feels like to have PR 0 and it sucked. Mind you I'm only at PR 4 now so I'm hardly a guru either.
This is one of those 'misinformation facts' that gets spouted across the web. While it is beneficial to reciprocally link in a themed way, it is not necessary that all of your linking is done with similarly themed sites. So long as you aren't running a free-for-all link section then you should be ok.

But its obviously beneficial if all the sites that link to you are related as the traffic that comes from the sites is interested in your content.

MI
Back