The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Propeller”/  Direct Affiliate

Do you consider Youtube as a social networking site?

Definitely, though it didn't used to be. I think once it really started coming along, and after the Google acquisition, it really plugged into the social scene. The way the compensation model for YouTube works essentially demands a social network backing any popular videos. Web 2.0 means the social network aspect must be designed in, after all.

Somehow it is but I don't think of it as a social media site in the first place because the main thing about Youtube is their video collection and not the people.

Unlike most people in this post, YouTube for me is only a video sharing site. Yes we can subscribe, like and comment but we can't post status messages, play games with our friends, post and share pictures, documents or any other files on YouTube. Aside from this, YouTube is also "prohibitive" in nature because unless you have some videos in your channel, there would really be no way to "get in touch" with your friends. It is much less "social" in nature than actual social networking site.

As it is said no reason for fighting a losing battle. All the comments above revolve around the fact that YouTube has a platform that counterparts the one used in other social networks. YouTube contributes a lot in being a social network as it is through here where people post fun and interesting videos or video blogs that people can click and watch. As other social networks, YouTube also bring people together to share ideas, talk, share interests and make more friends through the act of commenting on the posted videos. Therefore, I personally agree that YouTube is a social network though its concept and platform is not as comprehensive as other networks.

Has it really become a social networking site without people realizing it? I still don't think of it as a place to "socialize" though. It's a great place to view bizarre and interesting videos, but I don't see it as a suitable ground for meeting new people. Come to think of it, it might increase the socializing part on Youtube if they encourage live-commenting from the users. (You know, how they flood the screen with their comments, things like that)

Yes, I sure do. While many people may simply use it to watch videos on, it's definitely used as a social network as well. It's kind of like how Facebook could just be a place to collect photos and send out links to those photos....a person doesn't actually have to be social on it, but it's still a social network overall.

I don't really. In case anybody hasn't noticed, the majority of Youtube comments come from trolls. Youtube is great for sharing videos socially, but I would not call it a stand alone social network. It would be nothing without the social sharing features of Twitter, Facebook, Google etc. The only social feature about Youtube is the comments, and the fact that videos/playlists can be shared. Social, yes, but not in the same way as Twitter or Facebook.

banners
Back