The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“AdsEmpire”/  Direct Affiliate

Designer or Developer?

stealthhosts

affiliate
Do you consider yourself to be a Web Designer or a Web Developer?

If you 'create' websites, what do you call yourself? A common misconception nowadays is that if you have created a page in frontpage you know how to make websites. Is this valid? I don't know!

I refute the term web designer for what I do, a designer designs things, they don't make them. They think "this would look pretty with that" and that's pretty much the end of it.

I would term myself as a web developer, I don't simply design a site, I have process driven development.

Sites that we design & develop start with a requirements stage, then a design stage, then a development stage, followed by a presentation stage and ended with a sign off stage. Is this simply a design of a website? No, of course not, it is a creation from conception, through design and ultimately ending in release.

The point of this (which perhaps I should have started with) is simply that people who are genuinely good at creating sites and their content sometimes sell themselves short by using a term that has been coined from others.

If a bin man can be a 'refuse logistics operator' then why the hell can't you tart up your own title and make it reflect what you really do?

I actually think that your equal parts of both. Webdesign to me goes well beyond actually placing images on your site and also means how you set up websites for content and how that content is arranged.

I'd consider myself a designer, rather than a developer.
I am quite an arty type of person, and while I'm fairly confident with html and css, that's about as far as my coding skills go. I don't know why, but I just see 'web developers' as people with a lot more knowledge than me - people who set up and run advanced web sites. Again, I can't quite describe what I mean by an advanced website, but if you take a look at mine, you'll see a basic site.

To me, developing is a step up from design - but designing will always be a vital skill that developers will need just as much as their coding skills.

My point of view, by an Internet Noob.

Bungo

banners
Back