The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Propeller”/  Direct Affiliate

Couple of quick questions about research

mawinz

affiliate
I am trying to figure if I am doing this right? These are not the niches I'm interested in but experimented with to learn. Build a tiki bar has 616 competitors and 1900 monthly searches whereas ho train layouts has 1270 competitors and 9,900 monthly searches- so does this mean that tiki bars would be a less competitive niche than ho trains? Is that what a newbie wants? Of these two which would actually be the better to learn with assuming that they paid the same and there was actually a product out there for them?

IMO, the numbers for both are too close and you should be able to rank for both niches with no problem. But with all things being equal and I'm to choose one and only one, I'd go with the second niche.

Thank you for your answer. My first niche I chose I didn't know how to do any research so I just went with what I enjoy. When I learned on here how to research I found over 2 million competitors! So, now that one is tucked away for a while.

Now, for the next question- can anyone explain the term "thin affiliate page"? I ran into it and have never heard it used before but I understand it is something to avoid.

A "thin affiliate page" is something Google does not like and we want to keep the Google Gods happy. :)

A "thin affiliate page" is one that just has a bunch of affiliate links or product descriptions copied from the merchant that is the same content a bunch of other affiliates have. Google wants you to add value to your page which you can do by adding your own unique articles, blog posts, reviews, product comparisons or other content.

Thank you- that helps. I plan on doing a website with actual content on it and just putting the affiliate link on the page. I will use a seperate page for each vendor and related product. Hope that's how it should be done!

Thin affiliate sites are simply sites that the sole purpose is to direct traffic elsewhere.

Anymore I would wager that article marketers would be the only ones to really go this route anymore... but even still would make more of a content site over time.

I could show you one, but do not want to give up the niche or break the trust on this forum....

But let me just say that this site is currently just one review style landing page. I direct traffic from my articles to this page to get them to click off to the merchant.

That is the kind of site that you should avoid early on.

Basically, my purpose is to act as a redirect. Instead of just doing a normal top level redirect to the merchant (like I have done and had little luck with) I uploaded wordpress and used a paid theme to set up a landing page on the homepage... but made sure to attach the actual blog to the site so I can put any "money" articles on my site instead of ezine articles.

Other examples of "thin affiliate sites" are banner farms (yes they are still around) and carbon copy datafeed sites that all have the merchant's products and descriptions with no unique content.

It's good that you chose to go with something you enjoy. This way instead of a thin affiliate page your site will grow and expand. Try to list down topics related to your website, generate a menu tree (on paper), see if it will be easy to navigate through.

To keep your website fresh, you can add a blog, latest update sections, reviews of the product... an option of writing comments at the end of articles and product reviews is very welcome. This way the visitors can add their point of view (this, by the way, also keeps adding content to your site).

Good luck!

MI
Back