The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“AdsEmpire”/  Direct Affiliate

Cookie-Stuffing Affiliate Fraudster Facing 5 Years Jail + 250K Fine

Linda Buquet

affiliate
Back in February authorities accused Christopher Kennedy of creating <strong>Saucekit</strong>, a "cookie stuffing" program designed to target <strong>eBay</strong> which allowed users of the program to earn affiliate commissions illegally. <strong>Kennedy just pleaded guilty to a charge of Wire Fraud and is awaiting sentencing. The wire fraud conviction carries a possible sentence of five years in prison and a $250,000 fine.</strong>

More at CBS News: <strong>Man Guilty In eBay 'Cookie-Stuffing' Fraud</strong>
cbs5.com/technology/ebay.cookie.stuffing.2.1699313.html

Allegedly Kennedy sold <strong>Saucekit</strong> from January through November of last year, despite receiving a cease and desist letter from <strong>eBay</strong>. The court papers also allege that Kennedy once boasted in a post on the Blackhatworld forum, that one of his clients had earned almost $17,000 in a two-month span. Evidently a lot of the case was based on information shared in public on that forum.

If you bought the illegal Saucekit program you could be in trouble too as "FBI allegedly seized his customer list and are making enquirys" according to the story below at syndk8. I've heard A LOT of affiliates in forums talk about Saucekit, but I didn't realize what it was. If you were even involved in conversations about it at any forums you could be investigated, although I hear that some forums have been at work to try to get rid of posts that discussed this program.

<strong>FOLKS, the FBI DOES read forums and use them for evidence</strong>. I've had the FBI contact me more than once about a thread I was involved in at an un-named forum where I speculated someone was involved in fraudulent activity. Turns out that company was being investigated by the FBI and they wanted me to give them more insight into how that company was committing the fraud. More about the Kennedy case below.

<strong><a href="https://www.syndk8.com/content/188/156">Cookie Stuffing may get Saucekit creator Christopher Kennedy 5 years in jail</a></strong>

When Christopher was arrested the FBI allegedly seized his customer list and are making enquirys.

If reports are true and ebay have access to the customer list they can go back through all their accounts and recover any payments they believe were made through cookie stuffing. Lots of people are very worried now because they know they were fraudulently making over $10,000 a month from ebay and amazon with cookie stuffing and faked referrers.

<strong>Cookie-stuffing is ILLEGAL folks!</strong>

Other cookie-stuffing charges are still pending in a 2 year old case eBay has filed against Digital Point Solutions and Kessler's Flying Circus. See this post:
<strong><a href="http://affiliate-blogs.5staraffiliateprograms.com/1640/ebay-sues-high-profile-affiliate-for-cookie-stuffing-and-fraud.html">eBay Sues High Profile Affiliate for Cookie Stuffing and Fraud</a></strong>

More info about the original bust in February:
<strong></strong><strong><a href="http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2010/02/feds-bust-cookie-stuffing-code-seller/">Crime and Security - Online Feds Bust Cookie-Stuffing Code Seller</a></strong>

<strong><a href="http://www.mediapost.com/publications/?fa=Articles.showArticle&amp;art_aid=122273&amp;nid=111049">Developer Accused Of Bilking eBay With Cookie-Stuffing Program</a></strong>

Linda-

I just read this story on your blog!

Having to deal with the FBI, or a similar agency, is just something I could go my whole life without having to do!

Good luck!

Matthew Zinda

It's people like this that put the business into disrepute

Which is why the new laws and tighter restrictions are the best thing to happen to the internet. hopefully in a few years Internet Marketing will no longer be seen by the masses as a scam or just something they don't need to know about.

Nothing makes me happier than to hear about theses people getting what they deserve.

hopefully in a few years Internet Marketing will no longer be seen by the masses as a scam or just something they don't need to know about.

That will happen more quickly if affiliates start creating sites that don't LOOK so darn spammy...

banners
Back