The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Adavice”/  “1Win

Choosing first product to promote

Dina

affiliate
I'm on a year's course in affiliate marketing (cost a fortune in credit debt) and have spent the past three months trying to find a product/niche. I'm 62, well-travelled (English), but my passion - instead of a thundering torrent - is more like a babbling brook. I'm interested in everything and nothing! Can anyone relate? I'm 'into' quality, beauty, water, health, truth, music, movies, but am not knowledgeable about anything in particular. Have played life well by ear but now want some money money money. Your suggestions would be much appreciated, sarcasm accepted. Thanks! Dina

Hi Dina, and welcome! I know what you mean - I feel similarly (interested in tons of things but not especially knowledgeable in most). But that can certainly be enough! As long as you're willing to research a subject further, you can be successful with it. A lot of us are "jacks of all trades, masters of none" but we get along just fine in AM.

Thanks for your reply, Laura. It was encouraging to know that not all successful affiliates have a passion to follow - and that research on any interest will eventually, with persistence, make something of itself. I'm up to my neck in debt with this business school, otherwise I'd invest in your course too. I'll continue visiting the forum and also look at the affiliate sites offered. Again, thanks.

Rather than find the one right thing, may I suggest just picking something out of the air ad giving it a try. Learn as you go, then maybe you can exand and try other things and find something along the way that grabs your interest and will be something you enjoy promoting.

Examples?

Okay, say we pick a site devoted to tennis balls. Now, I have not played tennis in years and can't even remember how to keep score. So, forget about tennis. Promote the balls! Why would people want to buy tennis balls? Tennis, of course. Research the differences in brands and ball colors and promote the balls by brand and by color. What else can they be used for? My dogs love tennis balls. The make great pet toys. I also heard once that you should sew them in to the middle of the back of your sleep shirt to keep you from snoring (makes you roll off your back).

What I'm trying to say here is just pick something and look at all the different ways it can be used and the different ways you can promote it. In no time you will have a site with a dozen different pages. Then, go build another site....

Hi Ron,

Oh balls!...Hey, thanks for your suggestion. It really shouldn't matter to begin with, you're right. I'm supposed to 'build' 5 landing pages with goodness knows what for my first website. I reckon I'm taking it far too seriously...Life's too important to take seriously, yes? Thanks for putting things in prospective!

No, it's good to take it serious, but it's just very hard for most people to take the plunge and they often spend way too much time just trying to find their first product area instead of digging in and experimenting (and learning). Just wanted to give an example of how one can get started picking something out of the air.

Good luck and remember to have fun with it too. Don't let it drive you nuts! :)

Hi Dina, sorry I haven't weighed in on this thread sooner. I meant to. :eek:

Another option is to think of a subject you have a strong interest in and would like to learn more about.

Have you done the exercise in this post? It may help.
http://affiliate-marketing-forums.5...g/5558-how-pick-your-1st-niche.html#post15325

After you come up with a list of potential niches using the exercise above, then do keyword research following these methods. http://affiliate-marketing-forums.5...forum/19326-help-finding-niche.html#post60768

I personally think it's difficult if for your 1st site you pick a niche you have absolutely no interest in. It can be so boring and so much work just to think of things to write about that you give up before you even get started. So I would really try to find something that at least interests you. You don't need to know a lot about it, because you can learn more as you research and generate content.

I do agree with what Ron is saying though. Sometimes people get stuck in analysis paralysis and never get started. At some point you do need to just pick something and get going.

Hope this helps and feel free to ask more questions along the way.

Thanks Linda, for reminding me to just jump in. There are lots of things I'm interested in - and it's just a matter now of choosing 5 things that I like, that other people need. Maybe I'm being too 'frugal' (always had to be) and a little afraid of losing hundreds on my first attempt. But I agree, nothing ventured nothing gained and time is slipping away so quickly! From reading about you I'm proud of you and quite envious! You work hard and diligently, making right choices and being sensible - you're an inspiration for sure!

Cheers, Dina

Awww, thanks for the kind words! :)

and it's just a matter now of choosing 5 things that I like, that other people need.

? and a little afraid of losing hundreds on my first attempt.

5 things? That's just a list of possibles and then you are picking just one, hopefully the best one to start with right?

Losing hundreds? Why? You can start for very little outlay. Just a domain and hosting. Less than 10 a year for domain and less than 10 a month for hosting.

Thanks again Linda: I'm to choose 5 things - 5 landing pages on different products. My mentor suggests $5 a day - well, that's a lot if it doesn't work! He's been out of the office for some time due to bad weather, but I'll speak to him Wednesday and clarify a few things looking at your latest note. Your thoughts, time - much appreciated. I've picked one...How to be Funny in 7 Days - found it 'accidentally' and can't resist. I think humor is needed so much and it always attracts...agree? Will catch you later once I've applied myself a bit here! :)

I should add that my suggestion was mainly just to get your feet wet and see what all is involved in the process, it is not picking a niche to make money with. Once you go through the process one time, it may be easier and more productive to do an actual niche you plan to do for profit.

Just wanted to clarify.

Yes, that would seem the way to go. I'm to pick 5 different things, not necessarily a theme - but plan on $5 a day apparently. My mentor has been out of the office for quite some time but I'll speak to him this week and clarify a few things. Once I've chosen 5 products the next step is to learn how to build landing pages. I'm so grateful for the response I've been receiving from you. I don't feel so alone and it's motivating me, just what I need! Cheers, Ron - Dina

banners
Back