The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Adavice”/  “1Win

Blog Post Length

tbay2005

affiliate
Do you guys/gals suggest using a teaser with blog posts or just letting the whole post appear on the page? I know I hate it when I go to a blog and the pages are so long due to long posts.

Also, how many posts do you suggest having on each page?

I would think of not more than 5-8 posts in each page. This will help easier to navigiate and looks neat and clean.

I personally like the whole post to appear on one page. Ideally a week's worth of post should appear on the front page. Then they should auto-archive.

I do not like to read part of the post have to click on link to go to another page. Then if I want to read the next post I have to click "back".
Having the teaser post creates too much clicking. If a reader has to do too much work to read your post they are likely to click off your page.

Interesting question and one I've toyed with.

The front page of your blog is EXTREMELY important real estate, so you need to think carefully about the best way to utilize the space.

Here is my current strategy. I sometimes write really long posts. If it's something some people have no interest in they may leave and not scroll down to see all the other good posts.

Using the "more" command in Wordpress you can cut off a post anywhere and have it continue on it's own page.

So what I've been doing lately is I typically leave the full posts on the homepage for the week, when the majority of people are trying to read it. Then later in the week I'll go back and shorten up all the older posts so people can scan and see a lot more posts on the homepage, then click to read the full post if interested. After the 1st week most people come to a specific blog post of mine through the search engines and therefore go direct to the page anyway.

Also if I write something time sensitive like a seminar that's tomorrow or a post that for some reason I no longer think is very important, I'll go back and shorten it right away so it does not take up so much real estate.

My front page is probably way too long. I think it's set for 35 posts. However I want as much spiderfood on the front page as I can squeeze.

MI
Back