The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Propeller”/  Direct Affiliate

Blog content, what to sell and what to post

its_me_shaners

Hey linda sorry if this might not be in the right category I didnt see one for content.
Here's my question:
When it comes to blog content what should you just post and share and what should you really be packaging as a product for sale.
My general position on this is, is that when I am writing (posting) I'm posting about something I have figured out how to do. Some of the posts run in series one in particular is about 10 posts long.
I have had a few emails suggesting that I am nuts for posting some of it and should be selling it.
Which brings me to my next point. What should I be selling as my own product. I dont mean what product should I be selling, i mean in terms of content. I have a guides and ebooks page where I occasionally will produce something in pdf format to give away to those who might be interested and some stuff I use as an enticement to get an email. (I havent begun monetizing my list-more, interested in buildng a rapport at this point).
I guess my main objection misguided as it maybe is that I really dont wanna look like some scum bag scammer snake oil peddling moron.
My other notion might be misguided as well is that if I can figure something out then for sure just about anyone else can. I'm not the brightest bulb on the tree. I just work at it until I figure out what works. (blue collar showing in me I suppose)
What research I have done on this idea shows that arent any real solutions to this problem I have figured out, when I was trying to get it right and didnt really get any answers to my questions so I had to go about it on my own.
So now that I have an answer to this problem my question still remains should I just do a post series or should I really be selling it.
Confused In Canada
Shane
PS Go Sens Go
Thanks florida and jaques martin for crapping out, we go to the play offs !!

Hi Shane,

Sorry but don't think I can be much help on this one. Maybe others will. I don't work on the info product side of the fence and am pretty anti that whole market, due to all the snake oil peddlers and hypsters.

I think the answer would depend on a couple things. For instance what's your goal? Example I've written so much content I could probably write 20 ebooks. I've never written one and give everything away for free. My goal is building my expert status and attracting quality traffic and I feel that trying to sell anything would cheapen my image. BUT I'm in a very unique position too because I don't need to monetize the content per se, because my model is really different than an affiliate's is.

The other issue is at what point do you draw the line on how much is good to give away and at what point is it good enough or do you have enough to even sell. I don't know where your content is at on that spectrum and I'm not sure even how to determine the answer.

Sorry to be vague, but since I don't really know, those are just a couple thoughts.

This is a great post Shane! If you receive feedback from readers regarding certain content you can package and sell, I would definitely consider it. After all, this is invaluable feedback from someone who has read and is in need of your expertise. Through my research, I have found that many utilize ebay has a method to sell content.

To determine whether your material is publishable, I can suggest a few obvious points. First, research on what is available on the market (internet) about your topic. If so, determine your potential competitors and observe their price range. Of course a competitive price is attractive to buyers. If there isn't any published content (that are being sold) that matches your content, perhaps looking at forums, articles and materials on the topic will help determine the "demand" for your material. If you see many posts/questions about your content, than you probably have a good chance of having a great niche product in your hands.

As linda mentioned, credibility is key particularly on the internet and whether people can trust your product. I guess figuring out what the costs are of getting a packaged-content for sale together, if its nothing-to-minimal, I don't think you have anything to lose.

MI
Back